Issue: How to Fix "D3dx9_42.dll Is Missing" Error on Windows?
Help! I cannot start Need For Speed game on my PC. When I open it, I get “The program can’t start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer.” It suggests that I install the program to fix the problem. However, I am not sure where to start. Can you explain how to solve this problem with d3dx9_42.dll?
D3dx9_42.dll is a file that is part of DirectX software. Receiving an error message associated with this file means that you are experiencing and error with Microsoft DirectX. Microsoft DirectX is a set of application programming interfaces (APIs) that help to handle tasks related to game programming, video, and other multimedia.
You should never attempt to download a missing file from random Internet websites because it is simply not a safe move to make. You can easily download a malicious or corrupted file instead of the one that you really need. However, to ease the task for you, UGetFix experts prepared an easy guide on how to fix “d3dx9_42.dll is missing” issue. The solutions provided below can help to solve the following problems associated with the file:
“D3dx9_42.dll not found. Reinstalling might help fix this”;
“File d3dx9_42.dll not found”;
“The file d3dx9_42.dll is missing”;
“D3dx9_42.DLL Not Found.”
Fix d3dx9_42.dll Is Missing Error on Windows
Method 1. Install the latest version of DirectX
In most cases, receiving “d3dx9_42.dll is missing” error indicates that you have an unsupported (outdated) version of DirectX installed on your PC. The issue can be easily solved.
- Download the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft’s official website here.
- Once you download the file, open it and follow further instructions.
- After installing the software, restart your computer and attempt to relaunch your game.
Method 2. Update Graphic Drivers
- Press these two keyboard keys at the same time: Windows Key + X. From a menu that appears on your screen, select Device Manager. Another option to invite this panel is to open Run prompt by pressing down Windows Key + R, entering devmgmt.msc, and clicking OK.
- Find Display adapters category and expand it by clicking the arrow next to it. Now, find the video card and right-click on it. Here, select Update Driver and carry out the instructions provided by prompt messages.
- Restart your computer to see if the issue was solved.
Method 3. Reinstall or repair the game
It is possible that some errors occurred during the installation of your preferred game.
- Go to Control Panel > Apps and Features.
- Find the game that won’t start and select it. Then click Repair or Change.
- Follow the directions.
- If the suggested method doesn’t solve the issue, try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game.
Method 4. Fix d3dx9_42.dll error automatically
If the provided instructions didn’t help you to resolve the issue with the missing d3dx9_42.dll file, try using software that helps to resolve various Windows errors and issues automatically. Our team recommend using Reimage or RegCure Pro software.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
This patented repair process uses a database of 25 million components that can replace any damaged or missing file on user's computer.
To repair damaged system, you have to purchase the licensed version of Reimage malware removal tool.