Issue: How to fix Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) high GPU and RAM usage?
Hello. I noticed that my Windows PC started to become slow and I noticed that the Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) is using high amounts of GPU and RAM. What should I do?
The Windows operating system's Desktop Window Manager (DWM), which is represented by the dwm.exe process, is an essential component that manages the desktop interface's visual elements. Its tasks include the control of visual animations, transparency effects, taskbar functionality, and thumbnail previews. Although the DWM is essential for improving the overall user experience since it provides a visually beautiful desktop environment, users may have problems because of the process's high GPU and RAM utilization.
A large GPU usage by the Desktop Window Manager may harm system performance as a whole. Excessive GPU utilization can cause lag, slow response times, and an overall less responsive user experience. Moreover, higher RAM usage might impact multitasking effectiveness and add to system slowdowns, making apps operate less smoothly.
Because it affects users' regular computer interactions, this problem might be especially annoying for them. Tasks that would normally be completed quickly and smoothly could become slower and less effective, which would reduce user satisfaction and productivity.
Investigating alternative fixes is necessary to address the issue of the Desktop Window Manager using a lot of RAM and GPU. To maximize DWM performance, users might need to upgrade graphics drivers, look into driver problems, or adjust system preferences. Furthermore, modifying the visual settings or turning off specific DWM features could help relieve the burden of excessive resource usage. To overcome this issue, though, a careful balance between maintaining aesthetic improvements and guaranteeing system performance must be set.
In this guide, you will find 7 steps that should help you fix Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) high GPU and RAM usage. You can also try to run a maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Method 1. Install Windows Updates
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box.
- Type ms-settings:windowsupdate in the text box and press Enter.
- Click the Check for updates button.
- If a new update is available, click the Download & Install all button.
- Restart your computer after the process is finished and check to see if the problem is fixed.
Method 2. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Method 3. Turn Off Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling
- Go to Settings and select System.
- Choose Display and navigate to Graphics.
- Click on Change Default Graphics Settings.
- Locate the Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling option.
- Turn off the Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling option.
Method 4. Roll Back Graphics Driver
- Right-click on the Start menu icon to open the context menu.
- Choose Device Manager from the menu.
- In Device Manager, locate and expand the Display Adapters category.
- Right-click on your graphics card within the expanded category.
- Select Properties from the context menu.
- In the Properties window, navigate to the Driver tab.
- Click on Roll Back Driver to uninstall the recent driver update.
- Restart your PC to apply the changes.
Method 5. Configure the NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
- Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu.
- Type NVIDIA Control Panel in the search bar and press Enter.
- Select Manage 3D settings from the left sidebar.
- In the Preferred graphics processor drop-down menu, choose High-performance NVIDIA processor.
- Click the drop-down icon next to Power management mode and select Prefer maximum performance.
- Click on Apply to save the changes.
- Restart your computer for the modifications to take effect.
Method 6. Modify the Resolution and Scaling Settings
- Open Settings.
- Select System from the left sidebar.
- Choose Display from the right pane.
- Click the drop-down icon next to Scale.
- Choose the recommended value from the options provided.
- Additionally, select the recommended value from the Display resolution drop-down menu.
Method 7. Use System Restore
System Restore is a feature in Microsoft Windows that allows users to revert their computer's state to a previous point in time. This can be helpful if you have made changes to your system that are causing problems.
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run box.
- Type SystemPropertiesProtection and press Enter.
- Go to the System Protection tab.
- You will see the System Restore… button. Click it to run System Restore.
- Follow the prompts until you can select a restore point.
- Select the one you want (ideally before the issue started occurring) and go ahead with the process.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.