Issue: How to fix Disk Cleanup not deleting files in Windows?
Hello. When I try to use Disk Cleanup in Windows to get rid of junk files it does not work. Any way to fix this?
Users looking to free up priceless hard disk space and improve system efficiency may find it annoying when Disk Cleanup fails to erase files in Windows. System junk files, application cache files, temporary Internet files, download files, log files, and other accumulated items can all be found and eliminated using the built-in Windows software known as Disk Cleanup. If ignored, these files can gradually take up a sizable amount of disk space, which has an effect on the responsiveness and general effectiveness of the system.
Disk Cleanup's failure to perform as intended might have a variety of effects on users. The main issue is that it inhibits users from freeing up disk space, which can result in sluggish system performance and insufficient storage for crucial data and apps. Additionally, a file system that is cluttered and unorganized due to the accumulation of unneeded files might make it difficult to find and handle crucial documents and data.
Disk Cleanup not working properly might also be a sign of more serious problems with the Windows operating system. File corruption, permission problems, and conflicts with other programs or services are a few examples of these challenges. Users may become frustrated and perplexed if they depend on Disk Cleanup as a regular maintenance tool just to discover that it does not produce the outcomes they were hoping for.
Resolving the issue of Disk Cleanup not deleting files typically involves troubleshooting and addressing the underlying causes. Repairing damaged system files, checking that the utility has the right permissions configured, or looking into program incompatibilities are a few potential fixes. However, depending on the underlying cause, different measures may be required to solve the issue.
In this guide, you will find 5 steps that should help you fix Disk Cleanup not deleting files in Windows. You can also run a maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, registry issues, or clear cookies and cache automatically. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Method 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Method 2. Run Disk Cleanup as Administrator
- Type Disk Cleanup in the Windows search box.
- Right-click Disk Cleanup.
- Select Run as administrator from the context menu.
Method 3. Get Permission to Delete Files
- In File Explorer, right-click on the file that cannot be deleted and select Properties from the context menu.
- Move on to the Security tab, then select the current user account and check if it has Full control permission. If not, click the Edit button.
- In the pop-up window, select your account and make sure the Full control permission is set to Allow.
- Click Apply > OK. After that, run Disk Cleanup again and check if the target files can be deleted successfully.
Method 4. Delete Temporary Files Manually
- Right-click the Windows logo button to select Run.
- In the text box, type %temp% and press Enter.
- Press the Ctrl + A key combination to select all temporary files, then right-click on them to select Delete.
Method 5. Use Storage Sense
- To configure Storage Sense settings, navigate to Windows Settings > System > Storage.
- In the right panel, click Configure Storage Sense or run it now.
- On the next page, you can turn on Storage Sense and set which files to delete.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.