Issue: How to fix File System Error (-789839862) in Windows?
Hello. Whenever I try to open Settings on my Windows 11 computer, I receive a File System Error (-789839862). How do I fix this?
Windows 11 was released by Microsoft at the end of 2021. Many users were excited to try out the newest operating system. However, quite a lot of issues were uncovered as people started testing it. We previously wrote about many Windows 11 errors, such as long audio delay before starting, WiFi icon missing, and weather widget not updating or not working.
Recently, some users encountered another problem. People report that they have received a File System Error (-789839862) in Windows 11 when trying to launch the Settings app. Some suggest that the error could appear because of corrupted system files. This can cause a lot of inconveniences since the Settings app is the main place to configure your system.
In this guide, you will find 4 methods that could help you fix the issue. You can also use a maintenance tool like ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 if you want to avoid a lengthy troubleshooting process. This powerful software can fix various system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, you can follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Method 1. Run the System File Checker
- In the search box on the taskbar, type Command Prompt
- Select Run as administrator, and then select Yes
- Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and then press Enter
- After you see a message The operation completed successfully, type sfc /scannow and press Enter
- After you see a message that says, Verification 100% complete, type exit
- Close the window and see if the issue is fixed
Method 2. Install Available Updates
- Click Start on the taskbar
- Select the Setting app pinned to the Start menu
- Click Windows Update on the left side of Settings
- Press the Check for updates button to download and install new patch updates
Method 3. Uninstall Recently Installed Applications
- Type Control Panel in the search area of the taskbar and click Open
- Click on Uninstall a program
- Locate the faulty application and right-click on it
- Select Uninstall from the context menu and follow the on-screen instructions
- Once you uninstall the program successfully, check if the File System error is gone
Method 4. Reset Windows
- Choose the Start button located on the Taskbar and click on Settings
- Select System and click on Recovery
- Hit the Reset PC button
- Click on Keep my files if you don’t want to lose them
- Click Next, then Reset, and Windows 11 will start the reinstallation process
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.