Issue: How to fix Notification icon disappeared from taskbar in Windows?
Hello, I have an issue where the notification icon simply disappeared from the taskbar, and I am not sure how to bring it back. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Windows notifications are a vital component of the operating system, providing users with real-time updates and alerts from their installed applications and the system itself. Typically, these notifications are easily accessible through an icon located on the taskbar. However, some users have reported the disappearance of the Notification icon from the taskbar, leaving them unable to access these crucial alerts and updates swiftly.
This issue of the missing Notification icon often occurs after users install Windows updates. The problem can arise from various reasons, usually technical glitches that occur during the update process. Bugged updates are a common cause, where the new software unintentionally interferes with the normal functioning of the notification system.
In some instances, cached files that are supposed to improve system performance may instead conflict with updated software components, leading to the disappearance of the Notification icon. Additionally, system files can sometimes become corrupted during an update, causing the operating system to behave unexpectedly and resulting in issues like missing icons.
To resolve the issue of the disappeared Notification icon, users can apply a few solutions. They can attempt to roll back the Windows update, reverting the system to a state before the problematic update was installed. Clearing the cache can also be an effective approach, as it removes potentially conflicting temporary files from the system. In other cases, repairing corrupted system files using Windows’ built-in System File Checker and DISM can also be a viable resolution.
For those seeking an all-encompassing fix, utilizing the FortectMac Washing Machine X9 PC repair tool is highly recommended. This application is designed to address various Windows issues automatically, offering a straightforward resolution for users experiencing problems with missing Notification icons and other system glitches.
Fix 1. Turn on notifications via Windows Settings
This solution ensures that the notification feature in Windows is enabled. Occasionally, settings might change due to updates or other modifications in the system, inadvertently turning off notifications. Here’s a step-by-step approach:
- Go to the Start menu and select Settings (the gear icon).
- Navigate to System, then select Notifications & actions.
- Ensure that notifications are turned on. If not, toggle the switch to the On position.
Fix 2. Restart Windows Explorer
Restarting Windows Explorer can refresh the system and resolve minor glitches, including the disappearance of notification icons.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Locate Windows Explorer in the list.
- Right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart.
- Several UI components will disappear and reappear right after.
Fix 3. Run SFC and DISM
If corrupted system files have caused notification icons to disappear, SFC and DISM can resolve the issue.
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and pick Run as administrator.
- User Account Control window will show up – click Yes when prompted.
- Then, copy and paste the following command, pressing Enter after:
- Wait till the scan is finished. If Windows finds system file integrity violations, it will attempt to fix them. After this, use the set of the following commands, pressing Enter each time:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Close down the Command Prompt and restart your device.
Fix 4. Enable News and Interests
Enabling the News and Interests feature sometimes brings back the missing notification icon.
- Right-click on the taskbar.
- Pick News and interests.
- Select Show icon and text.
Fix 5. Uninstall the latest Windows update
If a recent update has caused the notification icon to disappear, uninstalling it may resolve the issue.
- Type Control Panel in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Click on View installed updates on the left side of the window.
- Sort all the updates by date.
- Right-click on the most recent update and select Uninstall.
- Proceed with on-screen instructions.
- Then, type Updates in Windows search and press Enter.
- Click Pause the updates for 7 days (in Windows 11, you can pick a different time period).
- Install updates only once the issue is addressed by Microsoft.
Fix 6. Correct your DPI scaling
Incorrect DPI scaling may cause visibility issues with icons. Setting it to 100% can correct this.
- Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings.
- Under Scale and layout, set the dropdown to 100%.
- Click Apply.
Fix 7. Repair-install Windows
A repair installation can fix underlying system issues without deleting your files and applications.
- Download Windows 11 Installation media from the official Microsoft website. [Windows 10 version]
- Double-click on the ISO file to open it.
- Find and select the setup.exe file within.
- Should User Account Control prompt you, choose Yes.
- Upon reaching the Install Windows screen, opt for Change how Setup downloads updates.
- Choose Not right now to avoid downloading a potentially new build. Then proceed with Next.
- Allow the setup to assess your PC's compatibility and free space.
- In the ensuing license agreement, select Accept.
- Once on the Ready to install page, click on Change what to keep.
- You'll be presented with choices: Keep personal files and apps, Keep personal files only, or Nothing.
- Finally, click Install to begin the installation process.
Fix 8. Create a new user account
Creating a new user account can provide a fresh environment where system settings are reset to defaults, potentially resolving any glitches causing the notification icon to disappear. Sometimes, user profiles get corrupted and create various issues; a new account would bypass these problems.
- Open Settings by clicking the Start button and selecting the gear icon.
- Navigate to Accounts, then select Family & other users.
- Under Other users, click on Add someone else to this PC.
- If you do not want to use a Microsoft account, choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, then select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Fill in the required fields for the username, password, and password hint.
- Click Next and then Finish.
- Sign out of your current account and sign into the new account to check if the notification icon appears on the taskbar.
If the notification icon is visible on the new account, it indicates the issue might be related to your original user profile. You can continue using the new account, but you'll need to move your files and reinstall any programs that aren't available on the new account. If the icon still does not appear, you might need to explore other solutions since the problem might be system-wide rather than user-specific.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.