Issue: How to fix Page fault in nonpaged area?
Hello, I was working on a word document when suddenly my Windows 10 PC bluescreened and came back with an error message PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. I rebooted, and it seemed fine for some time, only for me to face the same problem a few hours later. Is there anything that can be done to stop these errors from interrupting my work? Any help would be appreciated.
Page fault in nonpaged area is a blue screen of death error that might surprise users seemingly out of nowhere, leading to data loss if the work has not been saved. There is no other option but let the PC to restart (this action happens after every BSOD error), and that usually fixes the issue. However, some blue screen errors might be recurring and prompt users to look for Page fault in nonpaged area error fix methods.
When Page fault in nonpaged area BSOD error occurs, users are presented with the following explanation:
Your PC ran into a problem and needsto restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. (0% complete)
If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
As evident, Page fault in nonpaged area error body text does not provide any clues of why the error is occurring, so this might leave users baffled and frustrated. Nevertheless, most BSODs do not provide much information apart from the error code.
Page fault in nonpaged area error occurs because Windows can not locate the file within its memory, and there are many reasons why this can happen. For example, people who canceled the installation of Windows updates accidentally or intentionally are affected. Additionally, some said that the problem lied within faulty RAM sticks.
Fortunately, there are several ways you can fix Page fault in nonpaged area error. Nevertheless, before you proceed, we recommend you try resolving the issue automatically by downloading and installing a unique computer repair software Reimage – it holds a database that consists of a bunch of Windows-related files that could be the cause of Page fault in nonpaged area error.
If you do not want to try to fix PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA error automatically, proceed with the solutions below.
Fix 1. Run System File Checker
System File Checker, otherwise known as SFC, can be accessed via the Control Panel. However, you should make sure that you run it using administrative privileges:
- Type in cmd into the search box
- Right-click on the Command Prompt search result and select Run as administrator
- When the new window opens, type in the the following command and press Enter
- Wait till Windows completes the scan
- Windows should automatically repair any type of system file corruption
Fix 2. Run disk check
Since PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA error might be connected to a fault NTFS volume, you should perform disk check via the Command Prompt:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator again
- Type in the following line and hit Enter:
chkdsk /f /r
- Type in the letter Y and press Enter
Fix 3. Use Memory Diagnostic Tool to check your RAM for corruption
If the issue lies in a faulty memory, the Memory Diagnostic Tool will determine it. If the tool confirms it, you should replace the faulty hardware with a new RAM – it will fix Page fault in nonpaged area error:
- Type in Windows Memory Diagnostic into the search box and press Enter
- Select the Restart now and check for problems (recommended) option (don't forget to save your work before picking this, as your PC with restart immediately)
- Depending on your computer configuration and the installed hardware, the scan can take about an hour (for 8GB RAM), so be patient
- The scan results should be displayed as soon as you log back into your PC
Fix 4. Disable the automatic paging file management for all drives
You can increase virtual memory by using Windows page file – it uses the hard disk space as if it were RAM. Here's how to do it:
- Type in Advanced system settings into the search box and select View advanced system settings option
- System properties > Advanced tab window will open
- Under Performance, click on Settings
- Go to Advanced tab and, under Virtual Memory, click Change…
- Deselect Automatically manage paging file size for all drives option and click OK
Fix 5. Update Windows
Sometimes various BSOD errors might be caused by incorrectly installed Windows updates. Here's how to download the latest ones and make sure that you are running the latest patch if the OS:
- Right-click on the Start button and select Settings
- Go to Update & Security
- Click on Check for updates
- Wait till Windows downloads and updates the system automatically
- Reboot your PC
Fix 6. Other methods to fix Page fault in nonpaged area error that might help you
If you recently installed new hardware (such as an SSD or new RAM sticks), you should disconnect these devices and check if Page fault in nonpaged area error persists. Additionally, recently installed software might be the reason for the issue as well. You can try the following:
- Scan your system for malware
- Uninstall all recently installed applications
- Temporarily disable your anti-virus program
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: