Issue: How to Fix “The Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted” Error on Windows 10?
Hello, all. I’ve currently encountering an unusual Windows 10 bug – corrupted Recycle Bin. At the moment, I’m not able to delete any files or recover deleted ones. When I try to delete a random file from any Windows 10 location, an error occurs, which says: “The Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted.” What should I do in this situation?
“The Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted” is an error message that mainly strikes Windows 8 and 10 PCs. It emerges unexpectedly when a PC user attempts to delete some files from the system by right-clicking on it and selecting “Remove” from a drop-down menu. The “The Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted” error does not only prevent data from being removed, but also does not allow recovering it. Thus, if a PC owner notice that some of the important documents are missing and find them accidentally removed, clicking on the needed data inside the Recycle Bin folder and selecting “Recover” will also prompt the “The Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted” pop-up.
Possible “The Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted” error culprit
The exact reason of the Recycle Bin corruption on Windows 10 or 8 is not known yet. However, according to people’s reports, the problem often occurs after the installation of Windows Updates. However, Windows Update is not the only possible reason for the Recycle Bin corruption. It may get damaged by malware or malfunctioning of some core Windows files. To check for malware and fix damaged system files, we would recommend performing a full system scan with Reimage or another system optimization utility. If the scan did not fix corrupted Recycle Bin, another solution would be to delete permissions and re-install the corrupted Recycle Bin.
Fixing “The Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted” error
Solution 1. Run SFC and launch an elevated Command Prompt
- Right-click on Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type sfc / scannow and hit Enter.
- Wait for the System File Checker to run the scan and fix the existent problems related to Windows files.
- After that, type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter.
- Finally, reboot the system and check if the corrupted Recycle Bin has been fixed.
Solution 2. Remove permissions and re-install Recycle Bin
- Right-click on Windows key and select Control Panel.
- Open File Explorer Options and click on View tab.
- Uncheck the system protected operating files.
- The open each drive and locate the Recycle.bin folder and permissions with an additional recycle.bin.
- Delete the permissions and recycle.bin folders on each drive.
- Reboot your PC.
- After that, right-click on an empty space on the Desktop.
- Select Personalize and open Themes.
- Click Desktop Icon settings under Related Settings.
- Mark Recycle Bin and click Apply to save the changes.
Hopefully, you have managed to fix “The Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted” error successfully. If, after all, you have lost some important files that were kept in the Recycle Bin and opt for restoring them, you can use Data Recovery Pro tool or locate the copy of the files using Volume Shadow Copies.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services like Netflix, BBC, Disney+ and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless where you are
Recover your lost files quickly
Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is a recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of important documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.