Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0xC1900200?
I keep getting Windows update error 0xC1900200, which means I can't install the latest security updates. This is rather concerning and I'd like to resolve this as soon as possible.
Windows updates are periodic software patches released by Microsoft to enhance the performance, security, and reliability of its operating system. They come in various forms, such as security patches that address vulnerabilities, cumulative updates that include previously released fixes, feature updates that bring new functionalities, and driver updates that ensure smooth hardware operation.
Microsoft typically releases these updates on the second Tuesday of each month, a day commonly known as “Patch Tuesday.” These updates play a crucial role in keeping PCs protected against the latest threats, fixing software glitches, and ensuring optimal performance.
However, the process of updating is not always seamless. At times, users can encounter errors that disrupt the smooth transition to an updated system. One such error is the 0xC1900200 error code. When this error surfaces, it typically signifies an issue in the updating process.
Common causes behind this error include corrupted or malfunctioning Windows update components and caches. In some instances, the system might not meet the necessary requirements for the update, or there might be insufficient storage space on the partition where the update is being installed.
Addressing the 0xC1900200 error is essential, as leaving it unresolved can expose the system to vulnerabilities or cause it to underperform. To mitigate the issue, users can try clearing cache, ensuring there is adequate space on the system partition, or checking that the system aligns with the update's prerequisites.
For those seeking an efficient and hassle-free solution, the FortectMac Washing Machine X9 PC repair tool is recommended. This tool specializes in clearing various system caches and resolving common Windows issues automatically, making it an excellent choice for those looking to address the '0xC1900200' error and other related challenges swiftly.
Fix 1. Run Windows update troubleshooter
The Windows update troubleshooter is a built-in tool designed by Microsoft to automatically detect and resolve common issues associated with Windows updates. By running this troubleshooter, it can identify the root cause of the problem and either fix it automatically or provide guidance on how to resolve it.
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select Additional troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters.
- Find Windows Update from the list.
- Click it and select Run the troubleshooter/Run.
- Restart your PC when the process is finished.
Fix 2. Use Disk Cleanup
Disk Cleanup is a utility that allows users to free up space on their drives by deleting unnecessary files and temporary data. By cleaning up the disk, it can potentially provide the necessary space for Windows updates to install properly.
- Open the Windows search bar and type Disk Cleanup. Press Enter to open the Disk Cleanup utility.
- In the Disk Cleanup window, select the drive where your Windows operating system is installed (usually drive C:) and click OK.
- Click Clean up system files.
- Select the drive again and click OK.
- In the list of files that can be cleaned up, select the largest portions of data, such as Temporary Internet Files, Windows Update, Temporary Files, and others.
- Click OK to begin the cleanup process.
Fix 3. Reset Windows update components
Resetting Windows update components can help if there's a glitch or corruption preventing the updates from installing. This method involves restarting services associated with Windows updates and renaming certain folders to reset them.
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- When the User Account Control window pops up, click Yes.
- Type the following commands one by one in Command Prompt and press Enter after each:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- When these commands are executed, the last thing to do is to re-enable relevant services:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Reboot your system.
Fix 4. Expand the reserved partition
Sometimes, the reserved partition, where update files are temporarily stored, may run out of space. Expanding this partition can make room for updates.
- Right-click on Start and pick Disk Management.
- In the Disk Management window, locate the reserved partition. It's usually at the beginning of your main system drive and labeled as “System Reserved” or EFI.
- Check if there's unallocated space directly after this reserved partition. If not, you'll need to shrink the adjacent partition (usually your main system drive, labeled “C:“) to create some unallocated space.
- Right-click on your “C:” drive and select Shrink Volume.
- Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB (for example, 500MB would be sufficient) and click Shrink.
- Now, with the unallocated space available next to the reserved partition, right-click on the reserved partition and select Extend Volume.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the Extend Volume Wizard, allocating all the new unallocated space to the reserved partition.
- Click Finish to apply the changes.
- Restart your computer and try running the Windows update again.
Fix 5. Use Media Creation Tool
The Media Creation Tool allows users to upgrade their current Windows version or create installation media for another PC. It can bypass the typical Windows update method, which can be helpful if there's a specific update issue.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 installation media (Windows 11 version)
- Double-click the installer and select Yes when UAC shows up
- Agree to terms
- Select Upgrade this PC now and click Next
- Windows will start downloading the needed files
- Agree to terms once again and click Next
- Before installing, make sure that you are happy with your choices (otherwise, you can click Change what to keep option)
- Finally, click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.