Issue: How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80070002?
I’m using Windows 10 version 1703. The update service is set to automatic, but none of the updates are installed. I see that all updates are downloaded, but the installation fails with an error 0x80070002. I’m hopeless with computers, so I need an easy fix or a tool that would fix this issue for me. Could you please guys help?
The Error 0x80070002 is a Windows Update bug, which shows up in turns with the error code 0x80070003. Although most of the affected computers run Windows 10, the problem is not confined to this particular OS. According to Windows experts, the Error 0x80070002 can emerge on Windows 8, 7, and XP. Windows Vista can be but is seldom affected. Windows Update is a service frequently exposed to errors. Usually, people cannot install Windows Updates, especially the ones released to patch security vulnerabilities or other fatal errors, due to overloaded Windows Update servers. In this case, it’s advisable to reboot the system, wait several hours and then restart Windows Update service. However, the Error 0x80070002 may be an ongoing issue if the downloaded update lacks for crucial files. To fix this issue, you should uninstall the downloaded update and install it manually from the official Microsoft’s website. Last but not least, the Error Code 0x80070002 may start harassing people due to jammed Windows Update components or other rarer reasons. Luckily, the majority of people managed to fix it either automatically using programs like Reimage or manually. If you need the instructions explaining how to fix error 0x80070002 on Windows, see the paragraph below:
Fixing Windows Update Error 0x80070002:
Method 1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Navigate to the official Microsoft’s website and run the automatic Windows update troubleshooter. Here’s the link redirecting to the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Once the troubleshooter is downloaded, open its location and run the wu.diagcab file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to run a scan.
Method 2. Download the update manually
If the 0x80070002 error is triggered by corrupted or missing files of the Windows Update downloaded to the system, you should reinstall the update manually. For this purpose, you should:
- Memorize the number of the Windows KB Update needed and navigate to the official Microsoft’s website.
- Open the Microsoft Update Catalog and type the name of the required update.
- Select its storage location and click a “Download” button.
- Then navigate to the location of the update and start the update process.
Method 3. Reset Windows Update Components
- Right-click Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- If a UAC shows up, click OK to proceed.
- By typing the following commands you will stop BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services. Don’t forget to press Enter after each of them:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Then type Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat” command to delete qmgr*.dat files.
- Once done, copy and paste cd /d %windir%\system32 command and press Enter to execute the command.
- To re-register BITS and Windows Update files, you will have to type all the commands (followed by Enter) provided below:
- To reset Winsock, type netsh winsock reset and netsh winhttp reset proxy commands. Press Enter after each of them as usually.
- Finally, restart BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services by entering the following commands each followed by Eter:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Method 4. Run a professional anti-malware
Windows Update errors like 0x80070002 may also be the outcome of a virus/malware infection. If a malware is stubborn enough, it may block Windows Updates to prevent security updates. Therefore, we would recommend you to run a scan with Reimage or another powerful tool.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: