Issue: How to fix Word keyboard shortcuts not working in Windows?
Today, I launched Word just as usual and have noticed that keyboard shortcuts are not working. I used the program yesterday with no issues, so I am not sure what happened. Any tips?
Microsoft Word is a widely used word processing application, serving millions of home and office users around the globe every day. It offers a myriad of features that facilitate the creation, editing, and sharing of documents, making it an indispensable tool for students, professionals, and writers alike. Its widespread utility can be attributed to its user-friendly interface and versatility in handling text and multimedia elements seamlessly.
The efficiency and usability of Microsoft Word notably improve when users utilize keyboard shortcuts. These shortcuts are combinations of keys that perform specific tasks, providing a quicker alternative to mouse clicks, thereby expediting the document creation process. For instance, Win + C allows users to swiftly copy selected text without navigating through multiple steps with a mouse.
However, some users encounter issues where these keyboard shortcuts do not function as expected in Microsoft Word. This problem is not only inconvenient but also hampers productivity, as users have to revert to less efficient methods of executing commands.
There are several underlying reasons for the dysfunction of keyboard shortcuts in Word. One common cause is the presence of bugs within the Microsoft Office suite itself, which might interfere with the functionality of these shortcuts. Other plausible reasons include issues with the computer's keyboard, where specific keys may not be responsive or functioning incorrectly. In some instances, the shortcuts might be misconfigured within the application, leading to non-responsive commands when certain key combinations are pressed.
To mitigate these issues, there are various solutions available to restore the functionality of keyboard shortcuts in Microsoft Word – details of these solutions will be provided below. Before proceeding, we recommend scanning the system with a powerful PC repair tool FortectMac Washing Machine X9, which is capable of fixing various underlying Windows issues, such as corrupted system files, that could be contributing to keyboard shortcuts not in Word.
Fix 1. Run keyboard troubleshooter
The keyboard troubleshooter is a tool in Windows designed to automatically identify and resolve issues with the keyboard, including non-functioning shortcuts. It works by scanning the hardware for potential issues and implementing fixes when possible.
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows search and press Enter.
- On the right side of the window, click Additional troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters.
- Scroll down and select Keyboard.
- Click Run the troubleshooter/Run.
- Wait for the troubleshooter to finish.
- Restart your system once done.
Fix 2. Ensure the correct language is set in Word
Setting the correct language ensures that Word recognizes the appropriate keyboard layout and shortcuts associated with that language.
- Open Word.
- Go to File, and then select Options.
- In the Word Options window, select Language.
- Set the desired language as the default – click Set as preferred.
- Click OK.
Fix 3. Update keyboard drivers
Drivers facilitate communication between the operating system and the keyboard. Updating them can resolve compatibility issues that prevent shortcuts from working. Drivers can be manually downloaded from the keyboard manufacturer's official website. For automatic driver updates, consider using DriverFix, which scans and installs appropriate drivers efficiently. Windows also allows driver updates via Device Manager.
- Right-click on Start and choose Device Manager.
- Expand the Keyboards section.
- Right-click on your keyboard, then select Update driver.
- Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- Wait for Windows to install drivers for your device, and then reboot your system.
Fix 4. Repair Microsoft Office
Repairing Microsoft Office can resolve internal glitches and restore the functionality of keyboard shortcuts by reverting to default settings and fixing corrupted files.
- Open Control Panel.
- Select Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select Microsoft Office and click on Change.
- Choose the option for Online Repair and click Repair.
- Follow the prompts to finish the process.
Fix 5. Disable Add-ins
Add-ins can sometimes conflict with Word’s normal functionality. Disabling them can restore keyboard shortcuts.
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type in winword /safe and press Enter.
- If the problem does not exist in this environment, the problem is related to the add-in.
- Next, go to File > Options.
- Go to the Add-ins section.
- At the bottom, on the right side, select COM Add-ins from the drop-down menu and pick Go.
- Here, untick all the add-ins and click OK.
Fix 6. Reinstall Microsoft Office
Reinstallation replaces corrupted files and settings with fresh copies, potentially resolving issues affecting keyboard shortcuts.
- Right-click on Start and pick Apps and Features.
- Scroll down to find the MS Office installation.
- Click Uninstall and confirm with Uninstall.
- Follow on-screen instructions to remove the app completely.
- Press Win + E to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the following location and delete its contents:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
- Next, type regedit in Windows search and press Enter.
- Go to the following locations in the Registry Editor and delete these items:
- Reboot the PC and then reinstall Microsoft Office.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.