Issue: How to Uninstall Java from Mac?
I am concerned about Java security issues, and I want to remove it from my Mac OS X. However, I found out that it cannot be uninstalled as an ordinary application. Could you tell me how to remove it entirely?
Java is a software that is designed to play various games, using communication platforms, viewing 3D content, and so on. However, it is also known for being vulnerable and actively exploited by cyber criminals. Thus, if you do not know why this application is needed or do not use it, it’s better to uninstall Java from Mac.
Various browser and programs might need Java in order to run. However, Apple has stopped including it in OS X due to security issues in 2012. Additionally, the majority of users do not find this software useful.
It seems that Java for Mac OS X is needed only if you play Minecraft and Runescape, or use Adobe Illustrator and few other apps. If you are not using them, you should uninstall them to increase your security level.
Indeed, this app cannot be removed by dragging it to the Trash only. You will need to take more steps to delete all Java-related entries from the computer. For that, we prepared two methods at the second part of the article.
Fake Java pop-ups spread malware
Cyber criminals often deliver fake alerts to install latest Java updates. However, these pop-ups that might emerge on the screen when you browse the web include malicious content. Thus, instead of update, you might download Trojan, ransomware or at least spyware.
Keep in mind that real and safe updates are available only on the official website or appear in the App Store. Thus, you should download them only from these sources to avoid installation of malware.
If you already clicked on such fake offer and think that your Mac may have been infected with a virus, you should run a full system scan with a reputable security software and check your computer’s state. You can use either Reimage or MacKeeper.
Uninstall Java on Mac OS X
Java removal requires having Administrator privileges. Besides, before you start, you should back all your data in order to avoid the loss of important files in case something goes wrong.
Below you can find two methods that allow removing Java from the device. The first method requires deleting files using Finder. It’s an easier and the safer option compared to the second one. The second option requires executing commands using Terminal.
Option 1. Uninstall Java-related entries using Finder
- Quit all applications that use Java.
- Open Finder.
- Click Go on the left top corner and choose Go To Folder option.
- Enter this path in the appeared box: /Library/Internet Plug-ins/
- In the Internet Plug-Ins window, you should find JavaAppletPlugin.plugin entry and delete it by grabbing it and moving to the Trash located on the Dock.
- Click Go and click Go To Folder again.
- This time, you have to enter /Library/PreferencePanes/ path.
- In the folder, you have to find and delete JavaControlPanel.prefPane entry.
- One more time click Go -> Go To Folder.
- Enter the path ~/Library/Application Support/Java/.
- Here delete Java folder.
- Empty the Trash.
Option 2. Remove Java using Mac OS command line
- Open Finder and access Applications folder.
- Go to Utilities folder.
- Open Terminal.
- In the Terminal windows enter these commands:
sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane
sudo rm -fr ~/Library/Application\\ Support/Java
- When these commands will be executed, Java should be removed from the system.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.
- ^ Grant Brunner. Java now pollutes your Mac with adware — here’s how to uninstall it. ExtremeTech. News and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.
- ^ Alex Heath. Apple Kills Java On The Mac To Fight Malware Like Flashback. Cult of Mac. Tech and culture through an Apple lens.
- ^ What is Java and do I need it on my Mac?. I'm Your Genius. Mac tech support.
- ^ Larry Loeb. Java Malware Becomes a Cross-Platform Threat. Security Intelligence. Latest security analysis and insight .