Issue: How to uninstall Web of Trust?
I want to uninstall this Web of Trust plug-in completely, but not sure how to do it properly. I’d appreciate your help.
If you are very cautious about you online security, it is not surprising that you may employ various tools for ensuring your anonymity and data protection. One of such tools is Web of Trust or WOT plug-in compatible with Mozilla and Chrome search engines. The plug-in has maintained its activities since 2007. It has managed to persuade millions of users that it keeps their online privacy as their top priority, though certain cases of non-personal information are mentioned. Unfortunately, many were convinced by such policy and perhaps used the tool for a couple of users. However, the time has come for the truth – German TV show has reported that more than 140 million of users data was sold to third-parties. While some might get concerned about their data leak, others wonder about the future of WOT.
The news came into public when German TV program, Norddeutscher Rundfunk, publishing unpleasant findings that the browser plug-in, which was advocating for privacy, in fact, was selling the data to third-parties, most likely online advertising companies. Defined as “a part of large community of users and developers that believe in keeping the internet safe,“ WOT was the plug-in which ranked the search results according to the content and child safety standards. However, it mentioned that non-personal information, which encompasses search entries, frequently visited domains, IP address, geographical location, might be traded with third-parties.
Likewise, the idea of earning income from such activity became attractive. However, the most damaging outcome of such data breach is that the sold data was not properly anonymized which means that the recipients could easily identify the owners of particular data. Among the data portions, personal details, including credit card information, were also sold. As a response to such news, Mozilla and Google made a rush to eliminate the extension from their browsing tools. If you are interested in how you can uninstall WOT plug-in, follow one of the following methods:
Option 1. Automatized WOT removal method
If you are not used to eliminating similar plug-ins manually, you can employ Reimage. This utility helps effectively remove browser hijackers, unwanted toolbars, extensions, adware, and more serious threats.
Option 2. Remove it from Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and click three horizontal lines (“More actions”) in the top right corner, expand More Tools and then choose Extensions.
- Find WOT plug-in and click Disable and remove the extension by clicking the Recycle Bin icon.
- Check the URL address for any suspicious entries in Open a specific page or set of pages function.
- If you spot any suspicious links, click x sign.
- Now return to the main settings windows and click Manage search engines under the Search headline.
- In the Search Engines… remove the unwanted URL addresses.
- Finally, Reset the browser by opening the Settings tab again. Expand advanced settings options list.
- Find System headline and click Reset browser settings.
Option 3. Uninstall the extension from Mozilla Firefox
- Click three horizontal lines in the top right corner.
- Choose Add-ons.
- Navigate to Extensions.
- Delete WOT plug-in by clicking Remove button.
- If you want to reset the settings of your browser, enter the Settings again. Then, Options and choose General.
- Delete the compromised links and click Restore to Default.
- Finish the action by clicking OK.