Issue: How to Uninstall Ask Toolbar?
I accidentally installed Ask Toolbar after I tried to close “Add an extension to leave” pop-up. How do I get rid of this malware now?
Ask Toolbar is a suspicious browser extension which the cyber security experts identify as malware. The online search tool is a widespread potentially unwanted program which the users often unknowingly install along with freeware or shareware applications downloaded off of the Internet. Users may also be prompted to install this tool on some low reputation websites. However, regardless of how the malware infiltrates victims’ computers, once it’s on the system, the parasite starts carrying out a variety of different unauthorized activities. These may include:
- Changing the default search engine and homepage of the infected browser;
- Displaying search results that prioritize sponsored content rather than the relevance to the search queries;
- Redirecting user’s searches through malicious domains;
- Creating conditions for other malware to enter the infected computer.
All this extra activity on the browser naturally leads to a slower browser performance, different malfunctions. Thus, users quickly start feeling disappointed and even annoyed with the Ask search service and start looking for ways to get rid of it.
Sadly, malicious browser add-ons are designed in a way that would prevent users from eliminating them from their computers easily. While some nasty extensions can be eliminated from the browser menu directly, others are more aggressive and may hide their malicious components across the system so that the toolbar would bounce back to the browser the next time it is launched. Software like Reimage can help locate these components and eliminate them from the computer, but you will still have to complete the finishing steps, such a resetting your web browsers yourself. To assist you with that, Ugetfix team has prepared the instructions below.
How to uninstall Ask Toolbar?
Different browsers require different Ask Toolbar elimination steps. Even if you are only using Google Chrome or Mozilla, be sure to go through ALL browsers installed on your PC and eliminate the unwanted extension.
Remove Ask Toolbar from Google Chrome:
- Open Chrome browser
- Click the menu icon on the top-right corner of the screen and in the drop-down menu navigate to ‟Settings”
- Open the ‟Extensions” catalog (you can also type in chrome://extensions to your URL bar directly and hit enter)
- In the list of the installed programs, look for ‟Ask”, ‟Search App by Ask”, “Ask Toolbar” and similar add-ons
- Remove the selected items by pressing recycle bin icon next to them
Remove Ask Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Firefox browser and go to the browser’s menu and select “Add-ons”
- Click on the “Extensions” option on the left
- Search for Ask-related components and click “Remove” next to every unwanted entry
- Restart the browser by clicking the “Restart Now” button at the top section of the window
Remove Ask Toolbar from the Internet Explorer:
- Launch your Internet Explorer
- In the browser’s menu select ‟Manage add-ons.”
- Go to the section ‟Toolbars & Extensions” and look for add-ons that may be related to Ask services
- Select all suspicious entries and click ‟Disable all.” You will find this button at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions: