Issue: [Fix] Cannot print faxes to printer on Windows
Hello. Recently I encountered a problem with printing faxes directly from the application. Any help would be appreciated.
Recently, many users, mainly businesses that use Windows encountered a problem when trying to print faxes. Those affected by the issue say that they can send and receive faxes without fail. They can also save them and print them if needed. However, the problem is that they cannot print faxes directly from the application.
It is unknown what exactly could have caused this but many people found that uninstalling the KB5017308 update solved the fax issue. KB5017308 is a security update. Many bugs were reported, but Microsoft has not yet addressed the fax bug in the list of known issues of this update.
Knowing this, simply uninstalling the update should fix the fax printing problem for most people. However, in this guide, you will find 3 more steps that should help you. This is not the first time that Windows updates have affected users' abilities to print. Back in 2021, we wrote about the network printing error 0x0000011b which was caused by updates and affected many small businesses.
We suggest you try all the options we present in this guide. Keep in mind that manual troubleshooting can be a lengthy process so you can also use a maintenance tool, like ReimageMac Washing Machine X9. It can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Method 1. Update Printer Drivers
- Press the Windows key and search for Device Manager
- Select the printer that you’ve connected from the list of available devices
- Right-click the device and select Update driver or Update driver software
- Click Search automatically for updated driver software
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the updated driver
- You can also use a dedicated utility like DriverFix that can find the best drivers for your machine and install them automatically
- Restart your computer
Method 2. Grant permissions
- The incoming faxes are in the following location:
- Once you go to the location you can see all the faxes there and print them, or convert them to a pdf
- To view the folder you must follow the directions below first
- Open Windows Explorer
- Click on the C drive, then on Program data
- Press on Microsoft, then Windows NT, then msfax
- Grant permission to view the folder
- You should see all the folders the fax program uses
- Click on Inbox and grant permission to view the folder
- Now you should be able to view all your faxes and print them
Method 3. Uninstall the latest Windows Update
Some users reported that uninstalling the 2022-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5017308) helped to solve the issue.
- Click Windows key + I to open Settings
- Select Update & Security and open Advanced Options
- Select View update history and click Uninstall Updates
- The system will open the list of updates in the Control Panel. Look for the KB5017308 update. If this update has not been installed, then remove the last one
- Select the update that you want to remove and select Uninstall
Postpone Windows 10 updates until Microsoft announces that the printer bug has been successfully fixed. Microsoft allows users to postpone security updates for up to a month.
- Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security
- Select Windows Update and click on the Advanced options link
- Under the Choose when updates are installed area, you will see two drop-down menus
- Choose for how long you want to defer the security and/or quality updates
Method 4. Perform a System Restore
- Press the Windows key and type System Restore Point to the search bar
- When the System Properties window opens, navigate to the System Protection tab
- Now click the System Restore button
- Now the System Restore wizard should emerge. Click the Next button to go on
- Now you should see all available restore points. Luckily, the Windows system by default creates a weekly restore point, so if you haven't created one manually, select the last System Restore Point. If you cannot find the preferred point, click the Show more restore points
- If the restore point is suitable for you, click Next and Finish buttons. The system should automatically reboot to ever all the recovery
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.