Issue: How to fix 0x80070660 error on Windows 10?
Hello! I wonder why I can't install the latest Windows 10 update? It keeps failing near the end of install phase with an error code 0x80070660. Any help would be appreciated.
0x80070660 is a numeric code, which has been created by Microsoft to mark the Windows 10 Update error. The system manifests the error message during the second phase of update installation process and informs the user that “There were some problems installing updates.”
This particular error code is a newcomer. Microsoft hasn't yet acknowledged it, which is why there's currently no official information on the bug check, as well as instructions on how to fix the 0x80070660 error.
However, UgetFix team has been analyzing the issue in details, and it looks like to be an ordinary Windows Update bug. In other words, resetting Windows Update components or running Windows Update Troubleshooter may be sufficient to fix the 0x80070660 error.
Nevertheless, there's one exception. In some of the cases, the 0x80070660 error may be related to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package corruption. Even though such issues are quite rare, we recommend you to uninstall C + + or at least update it to the latest version available if other fixes did not help.
Here is a video for your convenience:
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The first remedy for most of the Windows Update problems is the inbuilt Windows Troubleshooter. To run it, you have to:
- Press Windows key + I and open Settings.
- Open Update & Security section and select Troubleshoot.
- Then press Windows Update and select Run troubleshooter.
- The scan may take some time. Wait until the process is completed and then try to check for updates. If that did not help, try the following fixes.
Reset Windows Update components
- Right-click on Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Disable BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and the Windows Update Services by typing the commands given below in the Command Prompt window. Press Enter after each of them:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\\\\Windows\\\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\\\\Windows\\\\System32\\\\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- The last two commands are used for renaming SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders. When all commands are executed, enable BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services by typing these commands in the Command Prompt. Press Enter after each:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
Finally, close Command Prompt window and reboot your PC.
Clean Updates folder
It might be that there are some components from the previous updates confronting with the Windows update that you are trying to install now. Thus, try to remove the content from the Updates folder:
- Press Windows key + R to open Run.
- Paste the C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution\\Download and click OK.
- Mark all content in it, right-click on it and select Remove or press the Delete button.
Change Windows Update Settings
- Press Windows key + I simultaneously and heed to Update and Security section.
- Open Advanced Options link and remove a check mark next to Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows box.
- After that, restart your PC, reset Windows Update components as explained above and try to check for Windows updates one more time.
Install the latest Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package
As we have already pointed out, the culprit of the 0x80070660 error may be a corrupted Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package. Thus, if neither of the above-listed fixes helped you to solve the problem, we would recommend upgrading Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package to the latest version available.
- Access Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package download website.
- Based on your system type, start the download of the vc_redist.x64.exe or vc_redist.x84.exe file.
- When the download is over, close all the programs and double-click the file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
If the update did not help, try to uninstall C++ entirely from Control Panel or Settings applet and try to install Windows 10 April 2018 update. After that, reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.