Issue: How to Fix 0xc000014c BSOD on Windows 10?
Hello, all. Recently I upgraded my Dell Inspiration 14 to Windows 10 from Windows 7. The system worked perfectly for a couple of weeks, but yesterday when I tried to boot up the laptop, I received a BSOD with an error code 0xc000014c. It showed up before the sign-in page, so I’m currently locked out of my PC. Could someone please help?
Error Code 0xc000014c is one of the Boot Configuration Data bugs, which may occur due to a variety of hardware, driver, firmware, or software problems. In most of the cases, the culprit is incompatible device driver, RAM corruption, some type of disk damage or corrupted system files. We have made a little investigation process on this error code and discovered that a big number of Windows users have been dealing with this particular problem and searching for help.
The 0xc000014c BSOD shows up before the Windows Sign-In screen during the boot phase. The message says: “Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors. File: \\Boot\\BCD.” This problem completely locks the system and will not allow booting it unless fixed. Such activity can interfere with the user's ability to work with the computer properly, launch various apps, services, and processes.
Usually, people fix the 0xc000014c stop error by recovering Windows using bootrex.exe. Anyway, to recover the system, you will necessarily need a bootable Windows 10 installation media, so if you do not have it, please prepare it in advance. For that, you will have to use another PC running Windows OS. Once you are ready, take a look at the following steps. Below we have provided multiple fixing methods that are likely to help the users to fix the computer from the 0xc000014c error.
How to Fix 0xc000014c BSOD on Windows 10?
Method 1. Use Windows 10 installation media
- Plug-in Windows 10 installation media.
- Reboot the PC.
- Press any key to boot from the installation media.
- Select language, time, currency, and keyboard/input method and press Next.
- Click Repair your computer (NOT Install Windows) and select the type of OS you want to repair.
- Click Troubleshoot.
- Select Advanced and click Automatic Repair or Startup Repair.
- When the system detects the OS, select the version that is currently running on the device.
- Finally, unplug the USB or remove DVD bootable media and try to boot the system up.
Method 2. Use Command Prompt and run specific commands
- Click the Power button and try to boot your PC.
- Press the F8 key repeatedly at boot and select Repair your computer.
- Select Command Prompt and type the following commands (press Enter after each one). NOTE: space before / is necessary:
Method 3. Use an external device
- Take a USB drive or DVD device and plug/put it in your computer.
- If you are approached with a message claiming “Press any key to boot from DVD or USB”, click on any button on your keyboard.
- Afterward, the Install Windows page should appear. Here, select the Repair your computer option.
- Then, the Windows recovery environment will be enabled. Here, opt for Choose an option > Troubleshoot.
Method 4. Perform an SFC scan
- Connect the device with the Windows installation media to your computer system.
- Afterward, when a window appears, click on Repair your computer.
- Then, choose Troubleshoot and go for the Advanced options.
- Opt for the Command Prompt service.
- Afterward, type sfc /scannow after the blinking cursor and hit the Enter key.
- Wait for the command to finish and reboot your computer system.
Method 5. Check the disk for possible corruption
- Connect the device that includes the Windows installation media.
- Click on the option that says “Repair your computer”.
- Afterward, select the Troubleshoot option and go for Advanced.
- Then click to run the Command Prompt service.
- Afterward, type chkdsk C: /f /x /r after the blinking cursor.
- Hit the Enter key and wait for the command to execute.
- Then, restart your computer.
Method 6. Restore the BSD files
- Take a bootable Windows 10 external drive and connect it to the computer.
- Wait for the Welcome Screen to appear and opt for Next and Repair your computer.
- Then, select the Troubleshoot button and continue with Advanced options.
- Afterward, choose Command Prompt and type these commands one after the other: bootrec /FixMbr, bootrec/FixBoot, bootrec /ScanOS, bootrec /RebuildBcd.
- Hit Enter after each command. Wait for all processes to finish.
- Reboot your Windows computer system.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.