Issue: How to Fix 0xc000014c BSOD on Windows 10?
Hello, all. Recently I upgraded my Dell Inspiration 14 to Windows 10 from Windows 7. The system worked perfectly for a couple of weeks, but yesterday when I tried to boot up the laptop, I received a BSOD with an error code 0xc000014c. It showed up before the sign-in page, so I’m currently locked out of my PC. Could someone please help?
Error Code 0xc000014c is one of the Boot Configuration Data bugs, which may occur due to a variety of hardware, driver, firmware, or software problems. In most of the cases, the culprit is incompatible device driver, RAM corruption, some type of disk damage or corrupted system files. We have made a little investigation process on this error code and discovered that a big number of Windows users have been dealing with this particular problem and searching for help.
The 0xc000014c BSOD shows up before the Windows Sign-In screen during the boot phase. The message says: “Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors. File: \\Boot\\BCD.” This problem completely locks the system and will not allow booting it unless fixed. Such activity can interfere with the user's ability to work with the computer properly, launch various apps, services, and processes.
Usually, people fix the 0xc000014c stop error by recovering Windows using bootrex.exe. Anyway, to recover the system, you will necessarily need a bootable Windows 10 installation media, so if you do not have it, please prepare it in advance. For that, you will have to use another PC running Windows OS. Once you are ready, take a look at the following steps. Below we have provided multiple fixing methods that are likely to help the users to fix the computer from the 0xc000014c error.
0xc000014c is a BSOD error code that appears when there is some type of hardware, file, disk corruption, or other problems
How to Fix 0xc000014c BSOD on Windows 10?
Method 1. Use Windows 10 installation media
- Plug-in Windows 10 installation media.
- Reboot the PC.
- Press any key to boot from the installation media.
- Select language, time, currency, and keyboard/input method and press Next.
- Click Repair your computer (NOT Install Windows) and select the type of OS you want to repair.
- Click Troubleshoot.
- Select Advanced and click Automatic Repair or Startup Repair.
- When the system detects the OS, select the version that is currently running on the device.
- Finally, unplug the USB or remove DVD bootable media and try to boot the system up.
Method 2. Use Command Prompt and run specific commands
- Click the Power button and try to boot your PC.
- Press the F8 key repeatedly at boot and select Repair your computer.
- Select Command Prompt and type the following commands (press Enter after each one). NOTE: space before / is necessary:
Method 3. Use an external device
- Take a USB drive or DVD device and plug/put it in your computer.
- If you are approached with a message claiming “Press any key to boot from DVD or USB”, click on any button on your keyboard.
- Afterward, the Install Windows page should appear. Here, select the Repair your computer option.
- Then, the Windows recovery environment will be enabled. Here, opt for Choose an option > Troubleshoot.
Method 4. Perform an SFC scan
- Connect the device with the Windows installation media to your computer system.
- Afterward, when a window appears, click on Repair your computer.
- Then, choose Troubleshoot and go for the Advanced options.
- Opt for the Command Prompt service.
- Afterward, type sfc /scannow after the blinking cursor and hit the Enter key. Run an SFC scan to get rid of the 0xc000014c error message
- Wait for the command to finish and reboot your computer system.
Method 5. Check the disk for possible corruption
- Connect the device that includes the Windows installation media.
- Click on the option that says “Repair your computer”.
- Afterward, select the Troubleshoot option and go for Advanced.
- Then click to run the Command Prompt service.
- Afterward, type chkdsk C: /f /x /r after the blinking cursor. You can take care of 0xc000014c error by checking your hard disk for possible corruption
- Hit the Enter key and wait for the command to execute.
- Then, restart your computer.
Method 6. Restore the BSD files
- Take a bootable Windows 10 external drive and connect it to the computer.
- Wait for the Welcome Screen to appear and opt for Next and Repair your computer.
- Then, select the Troubleshoot button and continue with Advanced options. You can try fixing 0xc000014c error code by restoring BCD files
- Afterward, choose Command Prompt and type these commands one after the other: bootrec /FixMbr, bootrec/FixBoot, bootrec /ScanOS, bootrec /RebuildBcd.
- Hit Enter after each command. Wait for all processes to finish.
- Reboot your Windows computer system.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.
- ^ Jon Martindale. What is RAM?. Digital Trends. Computing.
- ^ Windows 10, Boot error 0xc000014c. Microsoft Answers. Community.
- ^ Blue Screen of Death (BSoD). Techopedia. Tech terms and computer information.