Issue: How to fix “A newer version of OneDrive is installed” error?
“A newer version of Onedrive is installed. You need to uninstall it first before installing this version.” This error message pops up every single time I attempt to use OneDrive. I was thinking switching from Dropbox, but I see it's not yet stable enough on Windows 10 to be relied on. Dropbox works fine, and now I am baffled if I should actually swap to OneDrive as I am already having issues with it. Or maybe it can be fixed easily? I am not sure. Please help!
Cloud-based services were prevalent right from the mid-2000s when it came into existence as we know it today. It has been a great way to backup your data, be it to protect yourself from ransomware attacks or just to save space on the personal device. Nevertheless, cloud-based storage has been a great addition to any modern-day individual and is here to stay.
Unfortunately, users sometimes get problems when they want to use cloud services. OneDrive is not an exception, and users complained about consistent error messages and inability to properly use the virtual storage.
“A newer version of OneDrive is installed. You need to uninstall it first before installing this version” error occurs whenever the user is trying to stop using OneDrive and operate some other cloud-based service, or when a user wants to switch to OneDrive.
It is also known that users are unable to uninstall OneDrive because of the error mentioned above. The solution would be to remove the pre-installed version of OneDrive with the help of PowerShell.
Although Cloud services are useful, we recommend users to take measures to protect their account, as data breaches are on the rise right now – the Fappenig saga, for example, claimed personal X-rated pictures of countless celebrities since 2014. For that, use strong passwords and do not forget to enable two-factor authentication.
There is a possibility that malware is causing errors on Windows. In some cases, viruses can be extremely hard to catch as they do not emit any signs or symptoms. Therefore, we suggest you scan your machine with RestoroMac Washing Machine X9 before following up with solutions our security team prepared.
This video contains all the information you need to solve this problem:
Solution 1. Run the troubleshooter
Make sure the pre-installed version is working correctly before proceeding with other solutions:
- Download OneDrive troubleshooter from here
- Follow the on-screen instructions and restart your machine after the process is finished
Solution 2. Reset OneDrive to fix “A newer version of OneDrive is installed” error
The troubleshooter might have indicated that there are problems with your OneDrive. If that is the case, you can try to reset OneDrive before re-installing it:
- Type in Command Prompt into the search bar
- Right-click and select Run as administrator
- Once Command Prompt opens, copy and paste the following: %localappdata%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\onedrive.exe /reset and press Enter
Solution 3. Uninstall OneDrive
There may be multiple reasons why current OneDrive service is not starting properly. It could be potentially corrupt or damaged by malware. Thus, a good solution would be to uninstall the current version of OneDrive and then reinstall it with the clean, new install.
- Right-click on Start menu and select Settings
- Pick Apps and then scroll down to Microsoft OneDrive
- Click on it and press Uninstall
- Wait till the removal process is complete
- Then, navigate to the following location: C:\\Users\\[your username]\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\Update
- Click on OneDriveSetup and wait till the installation process is complete
If Windows is preventing you from uninstalling OneDrive, you can do it via Command Prompt:
- Go to C:\\Windows and locate the SysWOW64 folder
- While holding Shift, right-click on it and select Open PowerShell window here
- Once PowerShell opens, type in the following: OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
Solution 4. Delete OneDrive from Windows Registry
Warning: make sure you are attentive while executing this step as the incorrect process might damage your system files! This is the final solution that will hopefully help you to get OneDrive working again. Follow these steps and then install a new version of OneDrive:
- Type in regedit into the search bar, right-click on the program and select Run as administrator
- Once Registry Editor opens, go to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\OneDrive
- Right-click on the OneDrive folder and press Delete
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.
- ^ Antonio Regalado. Who Coined 'Cloud Computing'?. MIT technology review. Technology news.
- ^ Codrut Neagu. Simple questions: What is PowerShell & What can you do with it?. Digital Citizen. IT website.
- ^ Jake Doevan . EastEnder's Shona McGarty falls a victim to the Fappening 2018. 2-spyware. Cybersecurity news and articles.
- ^ Tim Fisher. What Is Malware?. Lifewire. Tech Untangled.