Issue: How to fix Discord won’t open?
Hello. I have started to use Discord as my main communication program just a few months ago. Everything worked fine, however, a couple of days ago Discord won't start at all. There are no warning messages, pop-ups or similar. Can you help me fix this problem, please? Thanks in advance.
Discord is considered one of the most innovative and feature-packed Voice over Internet Protocol application that is free to download and use. First created in 2015, its user count rose to 130 million in May 2018, which is really impressive. The platform is preferred by gaming communities mostly, as it allows text, video, audio communication between players. It is also available on Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, and Linux, as well as web browser version.
One of a few amazing Discord features include:
- A simple to use UI;
- Compatibility with different platforms;
- An easy setup;
- Almost all features can be used for free (text, call, video).
While Discord is an excellent communication app that can connect users around the world, it does not avoid problems entirely, although its developers are working hard to fix various issues. The most common error that users face is the Discord won't open and is stuck on starting in Windows or other operating systems.
It is really unfortunate if you are about to start a gaming session with friends, and Discord won't open. However, you should not panic, as we can help you fix Discord won't open error if you follow the instructions below.
However, before you find the Discord won't open fix that works for you, you should first make sure that your PC is free of malware. Malicious applications are capable of shutting down and preventing legitimate programs from starting correctly. Therefore, you should scan your computer with the help of Reimage. Once you are sure no virus is involved, proceed to the bottom section of the article – it should help you fix Discord won't open issue.
Fix 1. Kill Discord task
The most simple Discord won't open fix lies withing killing the task of Discord. It can either be done by opening Task Manager or using a command line in Command Prompt. Open the task manager the following way:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task manager
- Under Apps, locate Discord process
- Click on it and select End Task
You can also stop Discord process via Command Prompt:
- Type cmd into the search box and press Enter
- Once Command Prompt opens, type in the following line taskkill /F /IM discord.exe and then hit Enter
- Open Discord app
Fix 2. Use web version of Discord
Many users reported that switching to the web version of Discord helped them fix Discord app itself:
- Go to the official website and click on Login in the top right corner
- Enter your email and password and click on Login
- Try to open the Discord app
Fix 3. Check for corrupt system files
If your system crashed and some of the files got corrupted, you should use System File Checker to fix these files. Follow these steps:
- Type in cmd into the search box
- Right-click on search results and select Run as administrator
- Once Command Prompt window opens, type in the following: sfc /scannow and press Enter
- Wait till the scan finishes. Windows will repair all errors automatically
Fix 4. Clear AppData and Local AppData
Sometimes clearing AppData helped users fix Discord won't open error:
- Press Windows key + R
- Type in %appdata% and click OK or hit Enter
- Locate Discord folder and delete it
- Try to start the app again
Now, do the same with %localappdata%.
Fix 5. Make sure you are not using proxy
Proxy is a useful feature that helps users to browse anonymously and surpass certain limitations on the internet. However, if the proxy server is not responding, you will not be able to connect to Discord or the Internet for that matter. Therefore, follow these steps:
- Type Control Panel into the search box and press Enter
- Go to Network and Internet > Internet Options
- Next, under Connections tab, press LAN settings
- Check Automatically detect settings and make sure Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) is unchecked
If the above methods did not help, you should try the following to fix Discord won't open:
- Check if Discord is up to date
- Check if Windows is up to date
- Reinstall Discord
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: