Issue: How to fix “Do you own this game or app?” (Error code 0x803f8001) on Xbox?
Hi everyone. I have had my Xbox plugged out for a while, but plugged it back in yesterday. I’ve tried to play several games using a game disc, but got an error message, which says: “Do you own this game or app?” (Error code 0x803f8001).” Does anyone have any idea on whether or not you can fix this? Thanks in advance.
“Do you own this game or app?” (Error code 0x803f8001)” is an error notification that occurs when playing games Xbox One S or original Xbox One Console. Usually, it appears when the user lefts the game on, but does not play it for a while. According to Xbox support team, this bug may occur due to the following reasons:
- A temporary problem related to the service;
- The game you attempt to play was purchased and downloaded, but you are not signed in and connected to Xbox Live;
- The game was purchased and downloaded by another family member, and that person is not signed in to the console;
- The game disc is not in the console;
- The disk has failure and is unreadable;
First of all, check the Xbox Live service status on the official Xbox website. If another family member bought the game, this can trigger the error 0x803f8001. In this case, you should ask the team to sign in to the Xbox One Console and set the Console for him/her. In case this error pops up on random games, you should try the following fixes.
4 methods to fix “Do you own this game or app?” (Error code 0x803f8001)” error on Xbox console
Before you contact Microsoft support to help you eliminate “Do you know this game or app” error, try these recovery options:
Option 1. Power cycle Xbox one
- Plug in your Xbox console.
- Press and hold a power button for 10 seconds or more until it turns off.
- After that, unplug it and wait for 10-15 seconds.
- Plug it in and turn on.
- After that, check if this helped to fix Error code 0x803f8001. If it didn’t try hard reset.
Option 2. Perform hard reset
Performing hard reset will restore default factory settings of your Xbox Console. Therefore, before doing a hard reset, you should connect to your Xbox live and sync everything. Otherwise, the data and settings that haven’t been synced with Xbox live will be deleted. To perform a hard reset, you have to:
- Open Menu by pressing the left button on the navigation pad.
- Find All Settings and press A button to select it.
- Then navigate to System and select Console Info & Updates.
- Click Reset Console.
Option 3. Clean Windows Store cache
- Open a command prompt by pressing Win + R keys.
- Type WSReset.exe in the command prompt and press Enter.
- Once you receive the confirmation that cache is cleared, restart your computer.
Now you should get back to the game or other activities that you were doing before error 0x803f8001 occurred.
Option 4. Set home console
- Press the Xbox button to launch the guide.
- Choose System, Settings and then Personalization, and then select My home Xbox.
- Check the information and then select the following.
- Select Make this my home Xbox to set the console as your home Xbox.
- Choose This is not my home Xbox to revert the change.
Option 5. Clear persistent storage data
- Go to Settings (Xbox).
- Choose CD/blueray, then Persistent storage, select clear persistent storage.
- Unplug and the plug the console again.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
A VPN is also crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that you are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speed.
Therefore, to stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will prevent the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can decide to reboot the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost.
Additionally, you might also be attacked by malware that can corrupt your Windows or encrypt files with a robust encryption algorithm, and ask for a ransom in Bitcoin for the decryption tool. Cybercriminals might not deliver what they promised, however, so it is better to attempt alternative file recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data.
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.