Issue: How to fix “Error applying transforms” error on Windows 10?
I cannot update Java on my Windows 10 laptop. It delivers “Error applying transforms” error. What does it mean and how to fix it?
“Error applying transforms” is an error that might show up on Windows 10, as well as older versions of the operating system. The error might be displayed when installing or updating programs. There are a couple of reasons why it might occur:
- corrupted Windows Installer;
- wrong transform registry path of the app;
- problems with Windows Install and Update service;
- a broken software update.
When one of these issues occur, users receive a pop-up alert that states:
Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.
In rare occasions this problem is temporary. However, typically the “Error applying transforms” error requires taking some measures to fix it. One of the simplest solutions is to uninstall and then reinstall the program (if the error shows up during software update).
However, if the error popped up when installing the program, you should try other methods to fix “Error applying transforms” error. You can find a few of them presented below.
Methods to fix “Error applying transforms” problem on Windows
Usually, the error is associated with some corrupted registry entries or issues with install/update features. However, you can get rid of the issue by following the steps below.
Option 1. Reregister Windows Installer
- Click Windows key + R to open the Run box.
- Type msiexec /unregister and click OK.
- Type msiexec /regserver in the Run box and click OK again.
Windows Installer should be reregistered. Hence, you should check if it helped to fix “Error applying transforms.” If not, follow the second method.
Option 2. Run “Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter”
- Download Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter from the official Windows support page here.
- Click on MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta file to run Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions presented on the screen.
Option 3. Uninstall the previous version of the program that triggered the error
- Click Start and click Settings.
- Navigate to System from the Settings menu.
- Click Apps & features in the left pane.
- In the appeared list of installed apps on the right find the troublesome program and click on it.
- You will see the grey Uninstall button. Click on it.
- In the appeared uninstall confirmation button click Uninstall again.
Option 4. Fix transform registry path
Follow these steps if the error was delivered during software update:
- Click Windows key + R to open the Run window.
- Type regedit and click OK.
- You will end up in the Registry Editor. Navigate to this key:
- Right-click Products in the Registry Editor and click on Find option.
- Tick checkboxes next to Keys, Values, and Data.
- Type the name of the software that delivered an error in the Find what box.
- Click Find Next button to find the registry key for the software.
- Open Edit String window by double-clicking Transforms option.
- Delete everything from Value data box and click OK.
- Close the registry.
Note. If “Error applying transforms” error appeared when uninstalling a program, you have to delete Transforms.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.
- ^ Tim Fisher. How to Check for and Install Windows Updates. Lifewire. Tech how-to guides and tutorials.
- ^ Windows Installer. Techopedia. Defining the latest tech buzzwords.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. Microsoft, Please Stop Breaking My PC With Windows 10’s Automatic Updates. How-to Geek. The website about technology.
- ^ Logan Booker. This Microsoft Tool Fixes Applications That Refuse To Install Or Uninstall. Lifehacker. Tips and downloads to help you at work and play.