Issue: How to fix error code 0xc000025 on Windows?
I received a blue screen of death which tells that PC needs to be repaired. It also gives error code 0xc000025. How can I fix it?
Error code 0xc000025 is an error message that warns about booting problems that prevent Windows from starting. Typically, the problem is related to badly configured Boot Configuration Data (BCD). However, the source of the problem might be related to damaged system files, hard drive issues, and similar problems.
The 0xc000025 error might appear on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. However, the symptoms and fixing methods remain the same. The error message is delivered in the blue screen of death (BSoD) and contains the following message:
Your PC needs to be repaired
An unexpected error has occurred.
Error code: 0xc0000225
You’ll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don’t have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.
Additionally, the error message suggests three options:
- Press Enter to try again.
- Press F8 for Startup Settings.
- Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings.
However, none of these methods help to fix error code 0xc000025 on Windows. In order to get rid of it, you may need to fix boot sector, corrupted system files or hard drive issues.
Methods to fix error code 0xc000025 on Windows
As you already know many issues can cause the 0xc000025 error. However, the following methods should help to solve all of the problems and get rid of this error.
Method 1. Run Automatic Repair
Running Automatic Repair helps if the error prevents from booting into Windows. Follow these steps:
- Restart your computer a couple of times in the boot sequence.
- Once you see the list of options, choose Troubleshoot.
- Then choose Advanced options.
- Click Startup Repair to launch the process.
Method 2. Perform System Restore
System Restore allows traveling back in computer’s time, so you can get back to the date before the error occurred. Hence, you can identify what caused the error and fix it. However, before you start, you should create backups of your files and programs because they will be lost.
- Restart your device a couple of times in the boot sequence.
- Navigate to Troubleshoot and access Advanced options.
- There click System Restore and in the appeared window click Next.
- In the list of restore points, click on the desired one and then Next button.
- Follow the guide on the screen.
Method 3. Run chkdsk scan
If previous methods did not help to fix 0xc000025 error, you should run chkdsk scan. This method allows fixing hard drive issues that might be causing the error.
- Boot your computer into Advanced Boot Mode by restarting machine a couple of times during the boot sequence.
- Choose Advanced options and then Command Prompt.
- When in Command Prompt, type chkdsk /f X: where X is stands for the letter of your system partition. Typically, it’s C. However, it might be different when you run Command Prompt outside Windows.
- Wait until the scan is over. Typically, it takes about 20 minutes. However, it might take more based on the size of the partition.
- When the scan is over, restart your computer.
Method 4. Run diskpart tool
- Launch Command Prompt as we have explained in the previous method.
- In the Command Prompt enter these commands and click Enter after each of them:
- You will see the list of volumes from which you have to choose the volume that is labeled ESP or EFI. In order to do so, enter select volume X, where X stands to the volume’s number.
- Type the following commands and don’t forget to click Enter after each of them:
bcdboot C:\\windows /s Z: /f UEFI
- When these commands are executed, close the Command Prompt and restart the computer. Check if it helped to fix error code 0xc000025. If not, proceed to the 5th method.
Method 5. Repair the boot sector
Damaged boot sector can also be a source of the error 0xc000025. Therefore, you can try to repair it and check if it helps to get rid of the error:
- Get into the Advanced Boot Mode as it was explained before.
- Navigate to Advanced options and choose Command Prompt.
- Type the following commands in the command prompt:
- Once they are executed, restart the computer and check if the problem was solved.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.