Issue: How to fix ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND error on Windows?
I cannot install Service Pack 1 on Windows 7 because of the 0x80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND error. How can I fix it?
ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND is a Windows system error that usually emerges during the installation of programs. However, it might also show up on system startup or shutdown or when using a particular program.
The error most likely to appear in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008. However, Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 users can encounter it as well. There are many reasons why the error can appear. However, the name of the error suggests that it is related to missing or deleted file needed for program’s installation operation.
The reasons for the error might be related to:
- changed folder or file name;
- renamed registry keys;
- incorrect installation of a program;
- corrupted installation of updates.
The error is displayed in the pop-up message that provides the name of the program that cannot be installed or used and a specific error code, for example:
The system cannot find the file specified. 0x80070002 (WIN32: 2 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
Clicking OK button in the dialog does not help to fix ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND error. For that, you have to repair Windows registry, install updates, clean temporary files and folders, perform chkdsk scan or other methods we explained below.
Solutions to fix ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND Windows error
Try the following methods to get rid of the error and install needed software. You do not need to perform each of them. Complete them one by one until the error is gone for good. It means that after finishing one method, you should restart your PC and try to reinstall the program in order to check if it helped to fix the error.
Method 1. Run Microsoft’s System File Checker
One of the methods to fix ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND is to run System File Checker to find and replace corrupted system files. This option is possible only for Windows 10 users:
- Enter cmd in the Windows search box.
- Right-click Command Prompt in the appeared search results and choose Run as Administrator.
- Type the sfc /scannow command in the Command Prompt.
- After a couple of minutes, the scan is over and you should see if Windows fixed some corrupted files. If not, you can try some third-party tools to fix them and Registry entries, for instance, Reimage.
Method 2. Clean Temporary files and folders
System junk is often a case of ERROR FILE NOT FOUND error. Thus, cleaning it with Windows Disk Cleanup tool can help to fix it:
- Click Start.
- In the search box type command and then hold down Ctrl + Shift on the keyboard and then click Enter.
- In the prompted permission dialog box click Yes.
- In the appeared black box, type cleanmgr and click Enter.
- Disk Cleanup starts its tasks and displays a dialog box where you can choose what files you want to delete. Select all options in Temporary Files category and click OK.
Method 3. Update Windows OS
System and software updates are crucial to keep the system stable and working properly. Updates often include various fixes, so you should check if there are available updates and install them. Pay attention to the KB947821 update which helped the majority of users to fix ERROR FILE NOT FOUND error.
Windows 10 users can find Windows Update service in Settings. When in the Settings app, click Update & security and then Windows Update on the left. Finally, click Check for updates button, and wait until OS displays available updates. Follow the onscreen instructions to install them.
Older Windows OS users should access Control Panel and click Windows Update feature. There click Check for updates button, and install available entries by clicking Install updates button.
Method 4. Run the chkdsk scan to fix disk issues
Corrupted files and folder might be another source of the problem. So, you should run chkdsk command to check and fix ERROR FILE NOT FOUND problem.
- Enter cmd in the Windows search box.
- Right-click the entry and choose Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Type the following command where X is the letter of your partition and click Enter: chkdsk /f X:
- Wait for the procedure to end and check if the error is gone.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: