Issue: How to fix KB5017390 fails to install on Windows 11?
Hello. I tried to install the latest update KB5017390 on my Windows 11 computer but I was unsuccessful. Why does the update fail to install?
Microsoft regularly releases updates for the Windows operating system. It is extremely important to install them as they can contain new features, bug fixes, and security patches. Microsoft recently released a new update KB5017390 for Windows 11. It removed the ability to uninstall apps with inter-dependencies using the Settings app.
KB5017390 also contains File Explorer bug fixes. Some users could not launch it or tap and select buttons within the top part of File Explorer. However, some users had issues when trying to install the package. It is unknown why exactly KB5017390 fails to install on Windows 11.
Generally, Windows updates sometimes do not install because of corrupted files, malfunctioning Windows services, and update components. In this guide, you will find 6 steps that should help you fix the issue. Unfortunately, manual troubleshooting can become a lengthy process.
You may also use a maintenance tool, like RestoroMac Washing Machine X9 to help you fix KB5017390 failing to install. This powerful software can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below carefully.
Solution 1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Click the Windows button and select Settings
- Select System from the left pane, then scroll down on the right pane, and click on Troubleshoot
- Click on Other troubleshooters
- Locate the Windows Update troubleshooter and hit the Run button
Solution 2. Disable Third-Party Security Software
Sometimes antivirus software can block legitimate processes mistakenly. You should try disabling your antivirus and trying to run the update again.
Solution 3. Run sfc /scannow
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 4. Restart Windows Services
- Type services in the search bar and launch the Services utility
- Find Windows Update in the list
- Double-click on it, set the Startup type to Automatic, and click Apply
- Now click on Restart the Service
- Do the same with Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Solution 5. Reset Windows Update Components
- Open the Command Prompt as an Administrator
- Type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DataStore.bak
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download Download.bak
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
cd /d %windir%\system32
netsh winsock reset
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start cryptsvc
- Wait for the process to finish and restart your PC
Solution 6. Repair Install Windows
- Visit the official Microsoft website to download Windows 11 Installation Media
- Run the Media Creation Tool and select Create Installation Media for another PC
- Select your USB drive
- Let the Process complete of writing the Installation files to the USB drive
- Click Finish
- On the PC you wish to upgrade, Press Windows + E to open the File Explorer
- Open the Removable drive and click Setup.exe
- Accept the license terms on the next screen
- Confirm the Upgrade options – Files, apps and Settings are kept
- Click Install, and the upgrade should start
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.
- ^ Amanda Langowski. Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22621.598 and 22622.598. Microsoft. Windows Blogs.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death. Howtogeek. Tech Insight Magazine.
- ^ Tim Fisher. What Is the Windows Registry?. Lifewire. Software and Apps.