Issue: How to fix KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD on Windows?
I think that my PC is infected with a virus. Once or twice a week my PC’s screen is locked by a BSOD window saying KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I’m seriously frightened since I did not back up my files for several months, so I’m afraid of losing important data. This BSOD window does not say anything about file encryption and similar things that are typical for death screen, so I still hope that this issue is not that serious. Could you please tell me what should I do?
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED is a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error message that is accompanied by a value 0x0000001E. It occurs on the Windows 10 system only and, usually, pop-ups right after the older Windows versions are upgraded. Each emergence of this error makes the user force restart the system, which is a big problem because one may lose important files that were currently open.
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD indicates the fact that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. If you ever search for this error on the Internet, you will find some forums in which this problem is being discussed by the victims themselves. According to the experts, there may be various reasons that trigger this error, including corrupted files, outdated drivers, third-party software, and so on.
Nevertheless, Blue Screen of Death errors is sometimes likely to appear once malicious software appears on the computer system. Gladly, these occasions and very rare and the problem often remains somewhere else. Luckily, there are several simple things that you can do to fix KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error message. Look throughout the following fixes and discover manual and automatical ways to get rid of the error code.
How to fix KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED?
Fix 1. Disable/remove antivirus
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD may be caused by your antivirus. Therefore, you should uninstall it in the first place. For this purpose, you have to do the following:
- Right-click on the Win key and select Control Panel.
- Click on it and then select Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find your antivirus on the list, click on it, and select Uninstall.
Fix 2. Rename the file
If you encounter KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error when trying to open a particular file, then try to rename it (right-click on it and select Rename) and then try to open it again.
Fix 3. Update drivers
- Press Win key and type Device Manager.
- Click on the Device Manager and you should be exposed to a list of devices that are running on your operating system.
- Here you have to check if any drivers are marked with a yellow exclamation mark. If there are any, right-click on each of them and select Properties.
- When a drop-down menu occurs, go to Drivers and opt for Update Drivers.
- Finally, reboot the system and check if KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD error occurs. In most of the cases, this fix has helped.
Fix 4. Check if the hard drive remains undamaged
- Launch Command Prompt as Admin (you can do this via Windows Search).
- Once the black dialogue box shows up, type the “chkdsk /f” command and press Enter.
- After that, follow all guidelines and wait for the error to be fixed.
This method is a very common technique used for fixing BSOD errors, including KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED problem. However, if you did not find this method successful, you should continue with the following one.
Fix 5. Fix corrupted registry keys
- Hold Win logo key and R button together.
- Once a small run box pops out, type “regedit”.
- The Registry Editor will appear and you will have to find the Error 0x1E entry.
- Go to File Menu -> Export.
- Select the folder in which you want to save the backup key (Save In list).
- Type the name in the Export Range section.
- Opt for Save.
- Now you will find the file saved with the .reg appendix.
Fix 6. Check for possible file corruption with Command Prompt
As we have already mentioned at the start of our article, the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error code might be showing up due to some type of file or document damage that you might have unnoticed until now. If you want to find out if this speculation is true, you should run a specific command via Command Prompt again.
- Launch Command Prompt as Admin.
- Type “sfc /scannow” and click Enter.
- Follow all the commands that you are provided with.
Fix 7. Install a PC optimization tool
You may not know how powerful PC optimization tools sometimes may be. Very often a small fix of a corrupted file, missing an update, malware, etc. may help to deal with problems like KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error. Therefore, if none of the previous methods have helped, we would highly recommend installing Reimage and performing a full system scan with it.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: