Issue: How to fix MSVCR71.dll missing error in Windows?
Hello. I am randomly getting an error that prevents me from starting some programs on my Windows 10 laptop. The error says that MSVCR71.dll is missing from my computer. Are there any solutions available for this?
MSVCR71.dll is a Dynamic Link Library file that is used by Windows operating system to operating applications. For example, DLL files are called up when a certain function within the file is needed by some application. Many programs share the same runtime (dll) files, as they function similarly to executables.
Missing DLL files is not something uncommon in the Windows OS environment – the problem was persistent with older operating system versions as well. MSVCR71.dll is missing or not fund is one of such errors and can occur under various circumstances, although most commonly happen when a program is being launched.
Additionally, some users reported that the error might interfere with the installation of certain programs, which results in the process termination and inability to implement new apps on Windows. Regardless of when it occurs, it can be particularly annoying to deal with, as many users don't know why this issue shows up in the first place.
There are several different messages that users could receive when dealing with a missing MSVCR71.dll error – they include:
- The program can’t start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- This application failed to start because msvcr71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
- Cannot start XXX. A required component is missing: MSVCR71.dll.
As the error message suggests, the first thing you should try is to reinstall the program that causes the error in the first place. Many users follow this advice, although this fix does not work for everybody.
Therefore, if you tried to reinstall the program and it did not help you, check out the solutions below. Since there are many different causes for this issue to arise, expect to be trying several methods before you find one that works for you. Alternatively, you can choose a faster solution by running an automatic repair tool ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 instead.
It can replace the missing, damaged, or corrupted DLL files automatically, consequently performing an MSVCR71.dll not found fix. Note that it can also help you resolve other issues, such as BSODs, registry errors, lag, and much more.
Fix 1. Run a scan with anti-malware software
Malware can cause all sorts of issues, in particular, it might delete some files to establish itself on the system. While you can use third-party security software, an offline scan with a built-in Windows Defender should suffice:
- Type in Windows Security in Windows search and press Enter
- Select Virus & threat protection
- Pick Scan options
- Select Microsoft Defender Offline scan and click Scan now
- You computer will restart and the scan will be conducted – be patient while it is running.
Fix 2. Re-register the file manually
- Type cmd in Windows search bar
- Right-click on the Command Prompt search result and pick Run as administrator
- Once the new window shows up, copy and paste the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
regsvr32 /u a MSVCR71.dll
regsvr32 a MSVCR71.dll
- Once done, restart your PC and see if that helped you fix the issue.
Fix 3. Install the latest Visual C++ Redistributable
If you do not have Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed on your device (or, at least, the newest version of it), you should install it as follows:
- Go to the official Microsoft site
- Download vc_redist.x86.exe (32-bit) and vc_redist.x64.exe (64-bit) installers under the Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 section and run them both
- Once installation is complete, reboot your system and check whether the missing DLL file error is gone.
Note: if all of the Visual C++ packages are already present in your device, you should uninstall them by going to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program section. Then, install all the required versions as explained above.
Fix 4. Perform SFC and DISM scans
Cornuted system files can be fixed with commands via Command Prompt. Here's how:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator as explained above
- Then, copy and paste the following command, pressing Enter after:
- Wait till the scan is finished. If Windows finds system file integrity violations, it will attempt to fix them. If your scan reported this, restart your computer and try opening the program in question again
- If SFC scan was unable to fix corrupted files, run DISM (don't forget to press Enter after each of the commands):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Fix 5. Copy the missing MSVCR71.dll from another computer
You could download the missing file from a third-party website, although it is overall not a recommended practice due to security concerns. Instead, you can use another computer where the problem does not reside, and copy the missing DLL from there. To do that, perform these actions:
- On another computer, open File Explorer by pressing Win + E
- On the left side of the window, select This PC > Local Disc C:
- After marking the drive, type in MSVCR71.dll into the search box at the top-right corner and press Enter
- Once the file is found, copy it over and paste to the following location on your computer:
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.