Issue: How to fix Outlook error 0x8004011c in Windows?
Hi. I was trying to add another email to my Outlook account, and I couldn't do so because of the error 0x8004011c. The message said, “Something went wrong and Outlook couldn’t set up your account.”
Outlook is a popular personal information manager from Microsoft, primarily utilized as an email application. It is a part of the Microsoft Office suite, and it is a multifaceted program offering features like calendars, task managing, contact managing, note-taking, journal logging, and web browsing. It is praised for its user-friendly interface, seamless integration with other Office apps, and advanced email management capabilities.
Despite its utility and popularity, users sometimes encounter issues with Outlook. These problems can range from the inability to send or receive emails to difficulty in synchronizing with the server or even outright application crashes. At times, these issues could be due to outdated software, while other times it might be a result of user error or system glitches.
One such issue that users often come across is the Outlook error 0x8004011c. This error generally occurs when users are attempting to add a new email or an IMAP account. The error message typically reads, “Something went wrong and Outlook couldn’t set up your account.” This can be frustrating, especially when the user needs to add an account urgently for work or personal reasons.
There are several reasons why this error might occur. One of the main causes could be compatibility issues between Outlook and the operating system. It's crucial to ensure that both are updated to their latest versions to prevent such issues.
Connectivity problems are another common cause. If your internet connection is unstable or slow, Outlook may not be able to establish a secure connection to add a new account, resulting in the 0x8004011c error.
In some cases, the system's firewall might be blocking Outlook from accessing the internet, thus preventing the addition of a new account. It's important to check the firewall settings and make sure that Outlook is allowed to access the internet.
Lastly, if you are trying to add an account type that is not supported by your version of Outlook, you might encounter the 0x8004011c error. It's essential to verify that the type of account you are trying to add is compatible with your version of Outlook.
Before proceeding with the steps below to fix the 0x8004011c error, we recommend you run a scan with a powerful PC repair tool RestoroMac Washing Machine X9, which can ensure that no underlying issues in Windows are causing it.
Fix 1. Run the troubleshooter
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows search and press Enter.
- On the right side, click Additional troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters.
- Scroll down to find the Windows Store Apps entry.
- Select it and click Run the troubleshooter/Run.
- Wait till the scan finishes and apply the suggested fixes, then reboot your system.
Fix 2. Repair Microsoft Office
- Type Control Panel in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select Microsoft Office and click on Change.
- Choose the option for Online Repair and click Repair.
- Follow the prompts to finish the process.
Fix 3. Let Outlook.exe through Firewall
- Type in Control Panel in Windows search and press Enter.
- Go to System and Security and click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- On the left side of the window, click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Change settings (if you are not on an administrator account, you will be asked to enter a password).
- Scroll down and enable Private and Public access for Outlook. If you can't see it on the list, click Allow another app, click Browse, and then find the Outlook.exe file in the installation folder (for example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16).
- Now, make sure that the Private and Public checkboxes are marked and click OK.
Fix 4. Allow standard user to run the app as administrator
Generate a Local Profile:
- Create a local profile with the same username and password as the domain account.
- Open Outlook and set up the IMAP account as usual.
- Verify if it's working properly.
- If it works, exit Outlook, sign out of the local account, and sign in to the domain account.
Create a New Shortcut:
- Right-click on the desktop and select New > Shortcut.
- In the “Type the location of the item” field, enter:
runas /user:ComputerName\Administrator /savecred “C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\outlook.exe“. Replace “ComputerName” with your device name (e.g., DESKTOP-GJ1VEJ2). Ensure the correct syntax and path of the Outlook.exe file.
- Click Next.
- In the “Type a name for this shortcut” field, enter a name for your shortcut and click Finish.
- Go to your Desktop, right-click on the new shortcut, and select Properties.
- In the Properties dialog, select the Shortcut tab, and click on the Change icon button.
- Click on Browse, navigate to the Outlook.exe file, select it, and choose the Outlook icon.
- Press OK to finalize the changes.
Fix 5. Reinstall Office
- Right-click on Start and pick Apps and Features.
- Scroll down to find the MS Office installation.
- Click Uninstall and confirm with Uninstall.
- Follow on-screen instructions to remove the app completely.
- Press Win + E to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the following location and delete its contents:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
- Next, type regedit in Windows search and press Enter.
- Go to the following locations in the Registry Editor and delete these items:
- Reboot the PC and then reinstall Microsoft Office.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.