Issue: How to Fix "Source file could not be read" error on Firefox?
I cannot download needed files from the Internet using Firefox browser. It gives me a message that source file could not be read. I tried to download and save files using other browsers, so I think the problem is related to Firefox itself. How can I fix it?
“Source file could not be read” is an error that might occur when users try to download files from the Internet and save them in a preferred location using Mozilla Firefox browser. The error message might pop-up when you download any type of the files, including, music, games, documents, etc. It gives the following error message:
“ could not be saved, because the source file could not be read. Try again later, or contact the server administrator.”
One of the main sources of the problem is lost Internet connection. Thus, if Firefox gives you this error, you have to make sure that you are connected to the Internet. However, if you try again and the error still appears, try the methods below to fix “Could not be saved because the source file could not be read” Firefox error.
Methods to solve “Could not be saved because the source file could not be read” error
Method 1. Check Internet connection
You should start solving the problem with the simplest option – checking Internet connection. However, if you can access other websites without any problems, you should try other methods to fix Firefox error.
Method 2. Find and delete corrupted Compreg.dat file
File corruption is one of the most popular sources of various errors. In this case, “Source file could not be read” error is often related to corruption of Compreg.dat file. Thus, you have to delete it:
- Open Firefox.
- Type in the browser’s tab about:support and hit Enter.
- In the appeared tab find Open Folder (or Show Folder) option to open Firefox profile folder.
- Close Firefox.
- Right-click Compreg.dat file in the Firefox profile folder and choose Delete from the drop-down menu.
Method 3. Turn off Firefox extensions
Sometimes Firefox extensions cause huge problems. Therefore, you should check if they are not causing the “Could not be saved because the source file could not be read” error too. Disable them and try to download necessary files:
- Open Firefox and access menu.
- Go to Add-ons and click Extension.
- Click Disable buttons near installed extensions.
Additionally, you can click Remove button to delete them entirely.
Method 4. Check if Attributes for Places.sqlite is not set to Read-only
If the Attributes Setting for Places.sqlite is set to Read-only, it might be the reason why you have to deal with this Firefox error. Thus, you should check and adjust these settings if needed:
- Open Firefox.
- Enter about:support to the address bar and click Enter.
- Click Open Folder button to open Firefox Profiles folder in the File Explorer.
- In the appeared folder find places.sqlite, right-click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- The places.sqlite Properties window appears. Remove the check-box from the Read-only option in the Attributes section.
- Click Apply and then OK to save the changes.
Method 5. Reset/Refresh the browser
If none of the methods helped to get rid of “Source file could not be read” error, you have to reset the browser. Actually, Firefox has a refresh option instead of reset. However, it still restores default browser’s settings. Follow the guide to refresh Firefox:
- Open the browser.
- Type about:support in the address and bar and click Enter.
- In the appeared Troubleshooting Information tab, find Refresh Firefox… button.
- The dialog window pops up. Click Refresh Firefox again.
Additionally, you can try to uninstall and reinstall Firefox to fix “Could not be saved because the source file could not be read” Firefox error.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: