Issue: How to fix "The following components are required to run this program" error in Windows?
Hi, I was trying to play a game on Steam, but I keep getting the following error: “The following components are required to run this program DirectX runtime.” Any advice on how to fix this?
“The following components are required to run this program” error is a common issue that Windows users encounter, especially when running games on their PCs. This error message appears when certain components, such as DirectX Runtime or Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime, are missing or outdated, preventing the program or game from running properly.
One of the main causes of this error is outdated or missing DirectX. DirectX is a collection of libraries that are responsible for rendering video game graphics on a PC by gaining direct access to the hardware, including the CPU and GPU. If DirectX is not updated or installed on Windows, it can trigger an error message.
Another possible cause is a corrupt or missing Microsoft runtime application. Just like DirectX, Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime is a collection of libraries that are required by Windows programs developed using Microsoft Visual Studio. If the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime application is missing or corrupt, it can also result in an error message.
To resolve this error, users can take several steps. First, it's important to ensure that DirectX is updated to the latest version or installed if it's missing. Similarly, checking and updating Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime is also crucial. We provide several of the manual solutions below.
If you frequently encounter issues on your PC, including the “The following components are required to run this program” error, you may consider using a reliable repair tool FortectMac Washing Machine X9. Such tools can help identify and fix various issues that may be affecting the performance and stability of their Windows system.
Fix 1. Install the latest Windows updates
One of the main components that are missing is DirectX from Microsoft. Usually, users have an outdated version or don't even have it installed. To install it, you need to implement all the Windows updates, especially if you haven't been installing them for a while.
- Type Updates in the Windows search box and hit Enter.
- Click Check for Updates and wait till all the needed files are downloaded.
- If optional updates are available, install them too.
- When all is done, restart your system to implement the changes.
Fix 2. Check your system for corruption
- Type in cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click the Command Prompt result and pick Run as administrator.
- User Account Control will ask whether you want to allow changes – click Yes.
- Type this command and press Enter:
- Wait for the scan to finish.
- Then, use the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Restart your PC.
Fix 3. Install DirectX legacy components
In some cases, the newest DirectX version is not what causes the “The following components are required to run this program” error. Some older games require components from older DirectX versions. To install them, you can download and install DirectX End-User Runtime, which would implement the legacy DirectX SDK.
- Open your browser and navigate to the official Microsoft website for DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.
- Select your language and click Download.
- When the installer downloads, click the dxwebsetup.exe file to run it.
- Follow the prompts and finalize the process. Restart your PC as necessary.
Fix 4. Install Visual C++
- Open Control Panel and go to Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Here, scroll down and check the list of the installed Visual C++ versions.
- Open your browser and navigate to the official Microsoft Visual C++ download page.
- Download and install all the missing versions (including the x84 and x64 versions) of Visual Studio.
- Once done, restart your system.
Fix 5. Reinstall the game
If none of the solutions worked, reinstalling the game that's producing the “The following components are required to run this program” error. You can do so in many different ways; for example, on Steam, you can right-click on the gram in your Library and select Manage > Uninstall. Alternatively, you can always remove it in Windows as follows:
- Right-click on Start and pick Apps and Features.
- Scroll down to find the game in question.
- Select it and click Uninstall.
- When the prompt shows up, click Uninstall again and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once done, reboot your PC and reinstall the game.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.