Issue: How to fix "The Microsoft Edge Webview2 runtime installer failed to start" error in Windows?
Hello. When I try to run the Microsoft Edge Webview2 runtime installer I get the “The Microsoft Edge Webview2 runtime installer failed to start” error on my Windows PC. How do I fix this?
This error message typically indicates that there was a problem initiating the WebView2 runtime installation process. It can happen for a variety of reasons, including corrupt installation files, incompatible software, or insufficient permissions. Users are unable to continue with the installation or update of the WebView2 runtime when this error occurs.
The severity of this problem varies depending on the application or software that uses the WebView2 runtime. Users may encounter problems or limitations when using the application if it requires an updated or compatible version of the runtime to function properly. This can lead to decreased functionality, errors, or even the inability to launch the application at all.
Several potential solutions can be tried to resolve the “The Microsoft Edge WebView2 runtime installer failed to start” error. These may include ensuring proper system permissions, updating Windows, temporarily disabling conflicting software or antivirus programs, or reinstalling the WebView2 runtime using alternative methods. The specific solution, however, would be determined by the underlying cause of the problem.
In this guide, you will find 5 steps that should help you fix “The Microsoft Edge Webview2 runtime installer failed to start” error in Windows. You can also try a maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, registry issues, or clear cookies and cache automatically. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Run the Installer as an Administrator
- Locate the installer file on your computer.
- Right-click on the installer file.
- In the context menu that appears, select Run as administrator.
- If prompted by User Account Control (UAC), click Yes or enter the administrator password.
- The installer will now run with elevated privileges, allowing it to make changes to the system.
- Follow the prompts and instructions provided by the installer to complete the installation process.
Solution 2. Uninstall old Versions of the WebView2 Runtime Installer
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Select either Programs and Features or Add or Remove Programs.
- Look for the WebView2 runtime in the list of installed programs.
- Select the WebView2 runtime.
- Choose the Uninstall option to remove it.
Solution 3. Install WebView2 Runtime in Safe Mode
- Restart your computer.
- Press F8 repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears.
- Select Safe Mode from the menu and press Enter.
- Once your computer has booted into Safe Mode, locate the WebView2 runtime installer.
- Right-click on the WebView2 runtime installer and select Run as administrator.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation of the WebView2 runtime.
Solution 4. Disable Third-party Antivirus Software
Disabling third-party software can be a potential solution to fix the “The Microsoft Edge WebView2 runtime installer failed to start” error because it helps identify and eliminate any conflicts that may be occurring between the WebView2 installer and other installed applications or services on the system.
In some cases, certain third-party software, such as antivirus programs or system utilities, can interfere with the installation process of the WebView2 runtime. These programs might have strict security measures or background processes that restrict or block certain installation procedures. As a result, the WebView2 installer may fail to start or encounter errors.
Solution 5. Clear Windows Temporary Files
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, type temp and press Enter.
- The Windows temporary files window will open.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all the files.
- Press the Delete key to remove all the selected files.
- Open Run again.
- This time, type %temp% and press Enter.
- The Local temporary files window, containing application-specific temporary files, will open.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all the files.
- Press the Delete key on your keyboard to remove the selected temporary files.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.