Issue: How to fix WdFilter.sys BSOD on Windows?
I'm using Windows 10 for quite a long time. As far as I can remember, I did not initiate any important changes nor upgraded the system. However, each time I boot up my laptop and attempt using it, it encounters a BSOD pointing to a WdFilter.sys file. Is there something I could do by myself?
WdFilter.sys is original stems from the Windows 8 Pro OS, but it is used in each of the Windows 10 OS builds as well. It's one of the Sys files that are related to the Windows Defender Mini-Filter Driver. It's original location is %WinDir%\\system32\\drivers\\WdFilter.sys.
This file does not manifest itself as dangerous or problematic. Its security rating is one meaning that it's not malicious on its own and is a rare target for hackers. However, this file seems to be causing Windows Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) that indicate the WdFilter.sys file as a reason. The WdFilter.sys BSOD might show up on one of the following stop codes:
KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
In most of the cases, the culprit of the WdFilter.sys BSOD is related to Windows Defender's bug or corruption of display drivers. According to experts, one of the solutions is to update Windows Defender's security definitions or disable it completely. Turn off a Real-time protection feature might also help.
However, if Windows Defender does not seem to be the reason why WdFilter.sys not loaded on the system, you should run Driver Verifier and check for corrupted or unsigned devices drivers. If some drivers appear to be corrupted, make sure to update or reinstall them. You can find step-by-step instructions on how to fix WdFilter.sys BSOD down below.
Update Windows Defender
- Open Windows Search and type Windows Defender.
- Open the Windows Defender's panel and select Virus & Threat Protection.
- You should see the state of your antivirus. You should be automatically informed about any updates available.
- Alternatively, you can press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Open Update & Security section and click Check for updates.
- The system should automatically download all available updates.
Disable Windows Defender and Turn Off Real-Time Protection
- In the menu tray, click on a button that looks like a small arrow pointing upwards. Locate a Shield icon.
- If you couldn’t find this icon, just type Windows Defender in Windows search (click on Start Menu and type that phrase into the search box at the bottom of the menu).
- Once you open the Windows Defender, navigate to its Settings.
- What you have to do is to turn Real-time protection off.
Restore the Default Startup Configuration for Windows Defender Antivirus Mini-Filter Driver
- Right-click on Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following commands into the elevated Command Prompt environment. Click Enter after each of them:
sc config WdFilter start= boot
sc start WdFilter
- Close Comand Prompt and restart your PC.
Boot into Safe Mode with Networking
- Press and hold the Shift key while clicking on the Restart button on the login screen.
- Select Troubleshoot and click on Advanced Options.
- Select Startup Settings and click on Restart.
- After restarting, select Enable Safe Mode with Networking or Low-Resolution Video mode.
Update/reinstall graphics card drivers
- Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Double-click on the Display adapters section.
- Click once on your video card driver and select Update driver.
In case that did not help, we would recommend you to uninstall the driver completely and then download its latest version from the manufacture manually. Once downloaded, you should:
- Right-click on the driver's setup file and select Properties.
- Select Compatibility tab and mark a box next to Compatibility mode.
- Select a previous version of Windows supported by the software, from the drop-down list.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- After the installation of a driver, restart your PC.
Run Driver Verifier
- Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Click Yes on the UAC.
- Type verifier and press Enter to execute the command.
- On the new window, select Create standard settings and then click Next.
- Click Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer.
- Finally, click Finish button to start the verification process. You should get a report on the status of each driver, so follow the instructions to fix all problems.
If these methods did not work and you are still looking for a way to fix WdFilter.sys blue screen, we would recommend running a full system scan with ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 or another professional software optimization utility. We prefer Reimage as it contains an inbuilt antivirus engine and kills two birds with one stone.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.