Issue: How to fix Windows 10 Apps if they don't allow typing?
Hello. For some reason, I can’t type anything in Windows 10 Apps, including Cortana, Settings Search, Calculator, Feedback, and so on. Please help me!
There are various issues related to Windows 10 Apps but the one that you have described seems to be exceptional. However, the ugetfix research team has initiated a thorough research on it and found out that there are quite a lot of people who cannot type in Cortana, Settings Search or Calculator. While the lost ability to type words or symbols is well-known Windows 10 bug, typically the problem affects only one application at a time, but not the whole list of them. Therefore, in this case, it’s important to remember what system changes you have recently initiated to fix the bug. For example, you might have installed third-party software, which might have been bundled with malware or switched to another antivirus, which may be causing software conflicts. Besides, you might have installed some Windows 10 updates or upgraded to another build. There may be many reasons that might have triggered Windows 10 Apps’ unresponsiveness to typing. Nevertheless, in this short post, we will provide a couple of fixes that may help.
Fix 1. Run ctfmon.exe
The official Microsoft’s forum has a topic related to typing issues on Windows 10 apps. Several people have reported that they’ve managed to work around this bug by running a ctfmon.exe process. Therefore, for this purpose, you simply need to click Win key + R simultaneously and paste ctfmon.exe in it. In case you cannot type in the search bar, then right-click on Win key and select Command Prompt (Admin). Type ctfmon.exe in it and press Enter. Once done, check if Cortana, Calculator, Search and other Windows 10 Apps now allow typing. If not, move on with the next fix.
Fix 2. Enable TextServicesFramework Task
- Click Win key + R, type taskschd.msc, and press Enter.
- Then navigate go to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> TextServicesFramework.
- Right-click on MsCtfMonitor and select Enable.
- Finally, reboot your PC.
Fix 3. Restore to the previous point
If Windows 10 Apps disabled you from writing after the installation of Windows updates or modification of some important system’s settings, we would recommend you to get back to the previous point. NOTE: this method is available only if you have a System Restore Point created back in time.
- Click Win key and type Create a Restore point in the search bar.
- Select System Protection on the new window.
- Click on System Restore and then hit Next.
- Select the last Restore point that you have created and then click Next.
- Click Finish and wait for the system to restore. After that, restart the system.
Hopefully, one of the Windows 10 Apps typing issue fixes have helped you. If, however, you still cannot type anything in Cortana, Settings Search, Calculator, and other apps, we would recommend trying:
- Run SFC scan (use Command Prompt to run it if you can’t type sfc/scannow in Win key + R search box);
- DISM Tool (use Command Prompt, enter Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth commands in it, and press Enter after each);
- Disable your anti-virus.
- Run a scan with a professional anti-malware. Our recommendation is Reimage.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: