Issue: How to fix Windows 11 does not remember window size and position?
Hello. My Windows 11 PC suddenly does not remember the window size and position when docking/undocking. The issue is present when opening Word, Excel, Outlook, Explorer, Adobe, and other applications. How do I fix this?
Windows is a popular operating system that has many features that help make it user-friendly. However, one issue that some users have experienced is that Windows 11 does not always remember the position and size of windows when docking/undocking. This can be frustrating when you are trying to multitask or quickly switch between different programs.
There are a few different reasons why this issue may occur. One possibility is that the window you are trying to use is not set to be resized or moved. Another possibility is that your computer's display settings or drivers are causing the issue. If you have multiple displays connected to your computer, try adjusting the display settings to see if this helps.
It is also possible that there is a problem with the window itself. In this case, you may need to reinstall the program or update it to the latest version. This can usually be done through the program's settings or by downloading the latest version from the developer's website.
Some users have also said that they noticed the problem after installing the KB5019980 update. However, it is not confirmed if this update causes this issue. Some users have reported experiencing this issue even before the update was released. In this guide, you will find 7 steps that should help you fix Windows 11 does not remember window size and position.
Keep in mind that the manual troubleshooting process can be lengthy. You can use a system repair tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Enable Remember Window Locations
- Click on the Start button, type Settings, and press Enter
- Inside the Settings app, open the System category and then click the Display tab, available on the left pane
- Now move to the right pane, scroll a bit and you will find a Multiple displays section
- Check the box next to the Remember window locations based on monitor connection option to enable remember windows location
Solution 3. Update the Display Driver
- Open Device Manager and expand the Display Adapters tab
- Right-click on your graphics driver and select Properties
- Go to the Driver tab and click on Update Driver
- Press on Search Automatically for Drivers
- If a graphic driver update is available, install it and then restart your PC
- Upon restart, launch the Modern Warfare game and check if it fixed the issue.
- You may also use a dedicated utility like DriverFix that can find the best drivers for your machine and install them automatically
Solution 4. Uninstall the KB5019980 Update
Some users have reported that they started having issues with the system's ability to remember the size and position of windows after installing the KB5019980 update. Try uninstalling it to see if it fixes the issue:
- Press the Windows key + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app
- Choose the Update & Security option
- Navigate to the Windows Update section and select Update history from the menu that opens
- Now click on Uninstall updates
- Locate the KB5019980 update in the list
- Click on the Uninstall button next to the update
Note: uninstalling a Windows update may cause problems with your system if the update was designed to fix an issue or provide a new feature. It is generally a good idea to leave updates installed unless you are experiencing a specific issue that you believe the update is causing.
Solution 5. Restore Previous Folder Windows at Logon
If you close a window and then restart your computer, you may notice that the window does not reopen after you log back in. However, Windows 11 does have a feature that allows you to restore windows to its previous position and size after logging out. To enable this feature, you will need to follow a few simple steps:
- Search for folder options in the Taskbar search box
- Click on the File Explorer Options in the search result
- Switch to the View tab
- Tick the Restore previous folder windows at logon checkbox
- Click the OK button
If the Restore previous folder windows at logon feature does not work, you can follow our guide on how you might fix it – [Fix] “Restore previous folder windows at logon” not working in Windows.
Solution 6. Use System Restore
System Restore is a feature in Microsoft Windows that allows users to revert their computer's state to a previous point in time. This can be helpful if you have made changes to your system that are causing problems.
- Go to the Start menu, type restore, and click on Create a restore point
- Click System Restore, then follow the prompts until you can select a restore point
- Select the one you want (ideally before the issue started occurring) and go ahead with the process
Solution 7. Repair Install Windows
- Download the Windows 11 ISO file
- Now mount the ISO file
- Double-click on the file setup.exe to start the repair, install from the mounted drive
- When the installation provides the License Terms, read them and click Accept
- Windows will now check for updates and will install the ones available
- When all is set, click Install
- When the installation is complete, follow the on-screen instructions
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.