Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x8007012a?
Hello. I received a new update but I cannot install it. It says “Updates failed” and it gives me an install error 0x8007012a. What can I do about this?
Windows updates are important because they are meant to fix various system bugs, security issues, and introduce new functions. When users fail to install the updates it can be quite frustrating because they could be missing out on important things. Recently, users started receiving a Windows update error 0x8007012a.
There are different ways to go about this. If it is just a simple bug, an automatic built-in Windows troubleshooter should help you. If not, there are many different things that could have gone wrong. Windows is an extremely complicated system that relies on thousands of processes running in the background to keep it running smoothly.
Windows updates could be failing to install because the OS is missing some files required by Windows Update to perform it. When an error code 0x8007012a appears, Windows cannot finish updating the operating system. Other common reasons may include incorrect user input and accidentally deleted files from the registry that now cause system malfunctions.
Another thing that could be at fault here is the Windows Update services. Sometimes they stop running properly and have to be restarted. As there are many possibilities that could be causing Windows update errors, we have a lengthy list of possible solutions. We are sure that you should be able to get it fixed with our help.
If you do not want to go through all the troubleshooting process yourself, we recommend a repair tool ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix various Windows errors, registry issues, corrupted files, BSoDs automatically. It will also clear your browsers from cookies and cache so you should notice an improvement in performance.
If you want to solve the Windows update error 0x8007012a manually, you can follow our guide posted below. Make sure to follow all the steps correctly.
Method 1. Run the Update Troubleshooter
- Press the Windows + X keys and go to Settings
- Go to Update and Security
- Click Troubleshooter
- Select Additional troubleshooters
- Run the Update troubleshooter
Method 2. Check Background Intelligent Transfer services
- Press Windows + R to open the Run box
- Type in services.msc and press OK
- Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and then click OK
- If the status is Running, right-click then select Restart
- Locate Windows Update service and double-click it
- If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and OK. If the status is Running, right-click, then select Restart
Method 3. Repair Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Method 4. Check Disk
- Ensure that your disk is not damaged. You can perform checks using Administrative Command Prompt:
- If you are using an HDD as your main driver (where your operating system is installed – C: by default), use the following command and press Enter:
chkdsk c: /f
- If you are using SSD, use this command:
chkdsk c: /f /r /x
- If you receive an error, type in Y and hit Enter
- Restart your device to perform the check
Method 5. Reset every Windows Update Component
- Open Command Prompt as administrator again
- Copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Network\\Downloader\\*.*”
rmdir %systemroot%\\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\\system32\\catroot2 /S /Q
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your PC
Method 6. Download the Updates Manually
Whenever Windows updates fail to install automatically, you can always try doing it manually. First, you need to find out which KB number is relevant to you.
- Right-click Start button and pick Settings
- Go to Update & Security
- On the right, locate and click View update history
- From the list, note the KB number that fails to install with the error code
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog page, type in the KB number and press Search
- Download the update and install it manually
(Note: if you are dealing with a Windows upgrade issue, make sure you also download KB4498524 and KB4515384 updates as well)
Method 7. Update via Media Creation Tool
- Download Windows 10 installation media from the official website
- Open the tool once it installed
- Agree to license terms
- Choose Upgrade this PC now
- Wait for the update to be installed
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.