Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x80070bc9?
Hello. I keep trying to install updates on my Windows PC but it does not work. I get the 0x80070bc9 error. Is there a way to fix this?
Error 0x80070bc9 is a common Windows update error that appears when users try to install updates on their Windows operating system. This error usually indicates a problem with the installation process or a conflict between the update and previously installed software or drivers. When this error occurs, users may be unable to install critical security patches, bug fixes, and new features provided by Windows updates.
Windows updates are essential for a variety of reasons. For starters, they play an important role in improving a system's overall security. Patches for known vulnerabilities are frequently included in updates, protecting users from potential cyber threats and exploits. Users can reduce the risk of malware infections, data breaches, and unauthorized access to their personal information by keeping their systems up to date.
Second, updates are critical for improving the Windows operating system's stability and performance. Microsoft issues updates to fix bugs, glitches, and compatibility issues. These updates can improve system reliability, reduce crashes, and optimize system resources, resulting in a smoother and more efficient computing experience for users.
Third, Windows updates provide users with new features and functionalities. These updates may include new tools, options, and capabilities that boost productivity, streamline workflows, and enhance overall user experience. Users can take advantage of the latest advancements and ensure they have access to the most recent software innovations by staying up to date.
In this guide, you will find 8 steps that should help you fix Windows update error 0x80070bc9. You can also try using a maintenance tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, registry issues, or clear cookies and cache automatically. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Fix Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 2. Check Disk
Ensure that your disk is not damaged. You can perform checks using Administrative Command Prompt:
- If you are using an HDD as your main driver (where your operating system is installed – C: by default), use the following command and press Enter:
chkdsk c: /f
- If you are using SSD, use this command:
chkdsk c: /f /r /x
- If you receive an error, type in Y and hit Enter.
- Restart your device to perform the check.
Solution 3. Run the Update Troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key + X and go to Settings.
- Go to Update and Security.
- Click Troubleshooter.
- Select Additional troubleshooters.
- Run the Update troubleshooter.
- Restart the computer.
Solution 4. Update Drivers
Outdated drivers could be the cause of this issue. In this case, you can fix it automatically by using DriverFix, which will scan your PC for missing and out-of-date device drivers. Or you can update them manually:
- Open Settings
- Click on Update & Security
- Click on Windows Update
- Click the Check for updates button
- Click the View optional updates option
- Click the Driver updates tab
- Select the driver you want to update
- Click the Download and install button
If the View optional updates link is not available after checking for updates, then Windows Update does not have any new drivers or any updates for other products at that particular time.
Solution 5. Restart Windows Services
- Press Windows + R to open the Run box.
- Type in services.msc and press OK.
- Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and then click OK.
- If the status is Running, right-click then select Restart.
- Locate the Windows Update service and double-click it.
- If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and OK. If the status is Running, right-click, then select Restart.
Solution 6. Install the Update Manually
Whenever Windows updates fail to install automatically, you can always try doing it manually. First, you need to find out which KB number is relevant to you.
- Right-click Start button and pick Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- On the right, locate and click View update history.
- From the list, note the KB number that fails to install with the error code.
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog page, type in the KB number, and press Search.
- Download the update and install it manually.
Solution 7. Reset Windows Update Components
- Open Command Prompt as administrator again.
- Copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*”
rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your PC.
Solution 8. Upgrade Install Windows
- Download Windows 10 installation media or Windows 11 installation media from the official website.
- Open the tool once it is installed.
- Agree to license terms.
- Choose Upgrade this PC now.
- Wait for the update to be installed.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.