Issue: How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80096004?
When I try to install Windows updates, the following message shows up: “There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80096004)”. What is the problem? I’m running Windows 10. Thanks for any help!
0x80096004 (or 80096004) is a Windows Update error, which occurs when the user attempts to run the updates using Windows Updates service. In some rare cases, people may start seeing it after successful installation of particular updates.
Although it prevails on Windows 10 and 8, Windows 8.1 and 7 are not immune to this problem, but they are much less frequently affected. According to Microsoft engineers, 0x80096004 error may occur due to the DNS conflict, incompatibility of internal Windows applications or corrupted Windows Update components. If you have a third-party antivirus installed on the system, it should also be considered as one of the possible provocatives.
As soon as you come across the Error Code 0x80096004, you should check the system for malware, registry errors, corrupted files, irrelevant software, and similar issues. This can be done with the help of ReimageMac Washing Machine X9, which is a multi-functional PC optimization utility. If, however, a full system scan with this application did not work, then try to disable your anti-virus. Nothing? Then the following instructions should help you to fix 0x80096004 error.
Fix 1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Click Windows key + X simultaneously and select Control Panel.
- Type troubleshooter and hit Enter.
- Select Troubleshooting and click Fix problems with Windows Updates (under System and Security).
- Select View All and click on Windows Update.
- Click Next and then select Advanced.
- Select Run as an Administrator and mark all the boxes.
- Click Apply and then Next.
- Finally, click Close.
Alternatively, you can follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Select Troubleshoot on the left pane.
- Locate Windows Update and click on it once.
- Then press Run Troubleshooter button and wait.
Fix 2. Restart Windows Update Services
- Click Windows key + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Now find Windows Update service, Background Intelligent Transfer service, and Cryptographic services.
- Double-click on each of them and then click Stop button at the bottom of the window.
- After that, go to the C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution\\ location and delete everything that is located in this folder.
- Once done, click Windows key + R, type services.msc, and press Enter again.
- Locate Windows Update service, Background Intelligent Transfer service, and Cryptographic services.
- Double-click on each of them and select Start from the drop down menu.
- Close everything, restart the system, and try to run Windows Updates.
Fix 3. Reset Windows Store
In some of the cases, 0x80096004 error may occur due to the Windows Store bug. Therefore, resetting Windows Store is also worth trying. For that, click Windows key + R, type WSReset.exe command in the run dialogue box, and press Enter. The whole process will be executed automatically.
If, however, none of the three methods listed above helped, you may try to download the needed update manually from Microsoft's Update Catalog or download Media Creation tool and use it for Windows update/upgrade.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.