Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x800f0845 on Windows 10?
Hi. How can I fix Windows Update error 0x800f0845 when installing KB4056892? Thanks!
Although the Error Code 0x800f0845 falls into the category of Windows 10 update errors, it’s not a regular one. It means that it cannot be fixed by resetting Windows Update components or restarting Windows update service.
The 0x800f0845 error shows up when installing Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4056892 (16299.192) only. This update is an emergency update for AMD and Intel systems to immunize the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. Since the beginning of January, 2018 Microsoft, along with AMD, Intel, and ARM manufacturers, are working hard to fix the severe design flaw, which exposes a wide range of PCs, phones, tablets and servers to attack.
Actually, Windows 10 update KB4056892 is the one that should address the issue. The update has been released and pushed as one of the automatic Windows 10 updates. Unfortunately, thousands of AMD systems encountered an endless boot loop once the system attempted to restart to finish up installing the KB4056892 update. The others reported a BSOD error, which indicates the fact that the update failed to install with an error code 0x800f0845.
The KB4056892 update bugs were reported to Microsoft, which reacted immediately by scaling back the rollout of the Windows patches both for Windows 7 and 10.
Besides, the company provided an official workaround to fix 0x800f0845 BSOD for those who have already installed the KB4056892 update and the system got stuck at boot. In this case you should try these steps:
- Try to reboot Windows for several times in a row. Failed reboots will start an Automatic Repair.
- In the Automatic Repair Window, select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options.
- Then open Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Now click F4 or 4 to access Safe Mode.
- When in Safe Mode, press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Open Update & Security section and click Windows update.
- Now select the KB4056892 update from the update history and click Uninstall the update.
Roll back the update on Repair Your Computer window
If you cannot access Safe Mode, you can fix 0x800f0845 error on Repair Your Computer screen. This method will work on Windows 10 and 7 PCs.
- Press F8 at Windows startup to open Repair Your Computer screen.
- Open Command Prompt and paste the following commands into it. NOTE: press Enter after each of them:
- dir d:
- dism /image:d:\\ /remove-package
- /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7601.24002.1.4 /norestart
As for now, Microsoft is not rolling out the KB4056892 update anymore. It’s distribution has been paused temporarily and will be renewed as soon as they patch the update.
By the way, Microsoft explained the reason why some of the AMD systems did not accept the KB4056892. Microsoft’s spokesman reported that “some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown.”
Get rid of programs with only one click
You can uninstall this program with the help of the step-by-step guide presented to you by ugetfix.com experts. To save your time, we have also selected tools that will help you carry out this task automatically. If you are in a hurry or if you feel that you are not experienced enough to uninstall the program by your own, feel free to use these solutions: