Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0x8024401F?
Hello, I have issues with installing Windows updates because of the 0x8024401F error. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm running Windows 10 version 21H2.
Windows updates are an integral part of maintaining the efficiency, security, and smooth performance of your computer. Microsoft routinely rolls out these updates to provide new features, fix bugs, and patch potential security threats. However, at times, users might encounter hiccups in this seemingly simple process due to various issues. One such common stumbling block is the Windows update error 0x8024401F.
This error is typically caused by a miscommunication between your computer and the Microsoft update service, or it may be due to corrupted system files preventing the download or installation of updates. A myriad of other factors like network issues, firewall or antivirus settings, and misconfigured system settings can also lead to this problem, making it sometimes challenging to pinpoint the exact cause.
Despite the complications, the solutions to resolve this issue are straightforward and often successful. A preliminary step includes running the Windows Update Troubleshooter, a tool integrated into the Windows operating system designed to detect and fix common issues related to Windows updates automatically.
If the troubleshooter doesn't fix the problem, you might need to dive a little deeper by resetting the Windows update components manually. This process involves stopping the Windows Update Services, clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then restarting the Update Service.
Another potential solution is performing a Clean Boot. This action minimizes the number of applications and services that start when Windows boots up, enabling you to identify and solve conflicts that may occur between programs, services, and update processes.
Detailed instructions for each of these solutions can be found below the article. They will guide you through each process step-by-step, so you don't need to be a tech whiz to fix the issue.
In case the manual troubleshooting seems a bit too overwhelming or doesn't solve the problem, you can utilize a PC repair tool like FortectMac Washing Machine X9. This software can automate several of the troubleshooting steps mentioned above, simplifying the process and increasing the chances of fixing the Windows update error 0x8024401F, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free update experience.
Fix 1. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
The Windows Update Troubleshooter is an in-built tool that can automatically find and fix some common problems with Windows Update. Here's how to use it:
- Type Troubleshoot into the Windows search bar and press Enter.
- Next, on the right side of the window, select Additional troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters.
- Scroll down to locate the Windows update option and click on it.
- Click on Run the troubleshooter/Run and allow the process to complete.
- Once it is finished, implement any recommended fixes and restart your PC.
Fix 2. Reset Windows Update Components
Resetting Windows Update components involves manually stopping services that Windows Update relies on, clearing temporary files, and restarting the services.
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and pick Run as administrator.
- Copy and paste the following commands one by one in Command Prompt and press Enter after each:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- When these commands are executed, the last thing to do is to re-enable relevant services:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Reboot your device.
Fix 3. Perform a Clean Boot
A Clean Boot starts the system with minimal drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update.
- Press Win + R, type msconfig, then press Enter.
- Select the Services tab and tick the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Pick Disable all.
- Go to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
- Here, right-click on each of the non-Windows entries and select Disable.
- Close down the Task Manager.
- Go to the Boot tab and tick the Safe boot option
- Restart your system.
Fix 4. Clean temp files
Disk Cleanup is a built-in tool in Windows that removes unnecessary files from your hard drive. It can also help in resolving the Windows Update error by clearing out old, unnecessary update files.
- Type Disk Cleanup in Windows search and hit Enter.
- If your Windows is installed on drive C, pick it from the list (it should be by default) and press OK.
- Click Clean up system files.
- Select your main disk again and click OK.
- Here, select the largest portions of the data used – these typically include Temporary Internet Files, Windows Update, Temporary Files, Recycle Bin, Delivery Optimization Files, and others.
- Click OK – the process should be finished shortly.
Fix 5. Temporarily disable antivirus
Sometimes, your antivirus software can interfere with the Windows Update process. Disable it temporarily and see if the error persists.
- Locate your antivirus icon in the system tray, right-click on it, and select “Disable,” “Stop,” “Shut down,” or something similar (each antivirus has its way of disabling it).
- Try updating Windows again.
Fix 6. Update Drivers
Outdated drivers can cause conflicts with Windows Update. Make sure all your drivers are updated.
- Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
- Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device, then right-click it and select Update Driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Repeat the process for all devices.
- Once done, reboot your PC.
Fix 7. Install the update manually
If installing the update automatically doesn't work, use the manual method instead:
- Type in Updates in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select View update history.
- Find the update that failed with the 0x8024401F error code and copy its KB number.
- Open your browser and go to Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Within the search bar, type in the KB number and clicks Search.
- Find the correct version of the update for your operating system (to check this, right-click on Start and pick System. Under Device specifications and check the System type) and click Download.
- Use on-screen guidelines to finish the installation process and restart your computer.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.