Issue: How to fix Windows update error 0xd0000034?
Hi. I was attempting to install the newest Windows feature update and I couldn't because of the 0xd0000034 error. I tried many times but it just won't work. How to fix this?
Errors during Windows updates are rather common, and most users encounter them at least once in their time of PC use. Since Microsoft servers or erratic internet connections are typically to blame, most of the time these issues resolve themselves. This is reflected in the error notice, which usually fixes the issue by stating that the procedure will be repeated soon.
Some users note that 0xd0000034 is a big issue, and in certain cases, faults can be fairly persistent, making it impossible for users to upgrade Windows for an extended period of time. The issue can arise on all versions of Windows, regardless of whether the update was initiated manually or automatically.
Unfortunately, the 0xd0000034 error does not provide any additional information regarding the cause or potential fixes, just like many other Windows update errors do. Even though it would be useful if a universal solution could be applied to every user's configuration, since every computer is different, that is frequently not the case. Instead, when troubleshooting, a number of aspects need to be considered.
Data packet loss during transport or corruption in the system file are the most common causes of the 0xd0000034 issue. A problematic installation is another possible reason for this error; in that case, you can try using a troubleshooter. Regardless of the reason behind your problem, we have addressed every scenario below with remedies, so be sure to try them all until you find one that works. For a quicker solution, we recommend employing FortectMac Washing Machine X9 repair utility.
Fix 1. Perform Disk Cleanup
Sometimes, there might be not enough space in the particular drive you are trying to install the updates on. Disk Cleanup can clean various temp files, including those related to Windows updates, which might hold some buggy components.
- Type Disk Cleanup in Windows search and hit Enter.
- If your Windows is installed on drive C, pick it from the list (should be by default) and press OK.
- Click Clean up system files.
- Select your main drive again and click OK.
- Here, select the largest portions of the data used – these typically include Temporary Internet Files, Windows Update, Temporary Files, Recycle Bin, Delivery Optimization Files, and others. Marking Windows Update is vital here.
- Click OK – the process should be finished shortly.
Fix 2. Run Windows update troubleshooter
The Windows Update Troubleshooter is a tool that automatically detects and fixes common issues with Windows Update. It examines the system and quickly fixes any inconsistencies or obstructions found to be impeding the updating process.
- In Windows search, type Troubleshoot and hit Enter.
- Choose Additional troubleshooters/Other troubleshooters.
- Find the Windows Update option and click on Run/Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait till the scan is finished, apply any suggested fixes and restart your device.
Fix 3. Repair corrupted files
One of the most frequent causes of Windows update failures is corrupted system files, thus we advise using an elevated Command Prompt to verify their integrity.
- Type cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator
- When User Account Control shows up, click Yes
- Paste the following command into the new window:
- Press Enter and wait till the scan is finished
- Once done, run this set of commands, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Restart your device.
Fix 4. Rename the Software Distribution folder
To do this properly, please remove all your internet connections, including your WiFi connection. Make sure you restart the system before proceeding with these steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type the following commands, pressing Enter each time (note that you should use the first command several times):
taskkill /f /fi “SERVICES eq wuauserv”
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Restart your PC and try updating again.
Fix 5. Reset Windows update components
This solution is an improvement of the previous one, so make sure you try it
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Run the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
net Stop bits
net Stop wuauserv
net Stop appidsvc
net Stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
net Start bits
net Start wuauserv
net Start appidsvc
net Start cryptsvc
- Once complete, reboot your device.
Fix 6. Download the update manually
- Type in Updates in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select View update history.
- Find the update that failed with the 0xd0000034 error and copy its KB number.
- Open your browser and go to Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Within the search bar, type in the KB number and click Search.
- Find the correct version of the update for your operating system (to check this, right-click on Start and pick System. Under Device specifications and check the System type) and click Download.
- Use on-screen guidelines to finish the installation process and restart your PC.
Fix 7. Use Media Creation Tool
Disconnect all unnecessary devices from your computer (leaving just the mouse and keyboard), uninstall security software, and back up your files as a precautionary measure before proceeding.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 installation media (Windows 11 version).
- Double-click the installer and select Yes when UAC shows up.
- Agree to terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and select Next
- Windows will now download all the necessary files – it might take a while.
- Agree to terms once again and click Next.
- Before installing, make sure that you are happy with your choices (otherwise, you can click Change what to keep option).
- Finally, click Install to begin the upgrade process.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.