Issue: How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x8024a105?
My HP laptop hasn’t been updated for several months. Update installation fails with an error code 0x8024a105. Does anyone know what it means or how to fix issue? Thanks in advance.
The advantages of the automatic Windows Update service represented in Windows 10 OS have been discussed widely and people already evidenced the clear difference between updated and outdated operating system. It’s true that sometimes new Windows updates contain bugs and trigger system’s malfunctions, the biggest part of the updates accelerate system’s performance, consolidate its security, fix errors, and deliver new features. Unfortunately, Windows Update service is not perfect. There are many aspects that may negatively influence the performance of this service, which is why the system may not get updates for a long time. One of the current Windows Update errors is 0x8024a105. It may occur during the windows update search procedure or when checking the Update History and analyzing the updates that failed to install.
According to experts, the 0x8024a105 error indicates a problem with the Background Intelligence transfer service. Therefore, it’s advisable to stop this service temporarily and check if that helps. However, this service is not the only trigger of the update error, so you should also try to reset all Windows Update components. Nevertheless, before initiating any steps manually, we would recommend running Windows Update Troubleshooter and scanning the system with Reimage. To run the troubleshooter, type Troubleshoot in the Windows search and click the Troubleshoot system option. Click Windows Update and Run the troubleshooter button.
Methods that can be applied for fixing Windows Update error 0x8024a105
Option 1. Disable Background Intelligence transfer service
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Locate the Background Intelligent Transfer Service on the list and right-click it.
- Select Stop from the context menu.
- Now locate the Windows Update service, right-click it, and select Stop.
- Now open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution.
- Remove all the content on this folder. If some of the contents, for example, “Download” and “DeliveryOptimation” are not removed, repeat the removal process.
- Finally, reboot the system and check if the 0x8024a105 error has been fixed.
Option 2. Change Windows Update Settings
- Press Windows key and select Update and Security.
- Under Update settings select Advanced Options.
- Unmark the “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows” box.
- Reboot the system to save the changes.
- Then open Windows Update Settings as explained above and click Check for Updates.
- Click Check for Updates button several times in order to install all available Windows Updates. Once the system will be fully updated, you will receive a notification “Your device is up to date.”
- After that, open Update settings again and select Advanced Options.
Option 3. Reset Windows Update components
- Right-click Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- If a UAC shows up, click OK to proceed.
- By typing the following commands you will stop BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services. Don't forget to press Enter after each of them:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Then type Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Network\\Downloader\\qmgr*.dat” command to delete qmgr*.dat files.
- Once done, copy and paste cd /d %windir%\\system32 command and press Enter to execute the command.
- To re-register BITS and Windows Update files, you will have to type all the commands (followed by Enter) provided below:
- To reset Winsock, type netsh winsock reset and netsh winhttp reset proxy commands. Press Enter after each of them as usually.
- Finally, restart BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services by entering the following commands each followed by Eter:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.