Issue: How to stop Cortana from popping up randomly?
I keep receiving pop-ups from Cortana. Nothing works. Whenever I touch my laptop’s touchpad, the Cortana pop-up shows up and gets on my nerves. Please tell me how I can turn them off?
Cortana is a personal digital assistant, which is inbuilt into Windows 10 operating system. In other words, it is an improved Windows search, which now helps Windows users to navigate through the system, organize activities, meetings, and another day to day tasks. The list of Cortana’s new features is long is extended every day. While more and more people are getting used to this new feature and praise its usefulness, some wrong settings or minor malfunctions related to this “personal assistant” may annoy people to death. One of the biggest issues related to Cortana is its notifications. It has been noticed that Cortana tends to activate itself automatically and start delivering pop-ups regardless of whether the device user wants that or not. Many people are encountering random Cortana’s pop-ups, and it seems to be an on-going issue. Luckily, several methods can help you to stop Cortana from popping up.
Method 1. Disable trackpad gestures
In case you are using a laptop and noticed that Cortana displays a pop-up right when you touch your trackpad, turning off some gestures might do the trick:
- Press Windows key + I to open “Settings”.
- Select “Devices” and click on “Mouse & Touchpad”.
- Click on “Additional mouse options”. In the newly opened window, you should find options like “Three Finger Tap” or “Four Finger Tap.”
- Make sure that these options are disabled.
- Click “Apply” and “OK” to save changes and close the Settings app.
Method 2. Turn off “Hey Cortana” hot word detection
- Press Windows key and type “Cortana”.
- Select “Cortana & Search settings” from the search results.
- Find “Let Cortana respond to Hey Cortana” and turn the option off.
Method 3. Disable Cortana completely
If you are not a devoted Cortana user, to disable its pop-ups you may disable Cortana itself. While this is not the best solution, you can apply it temporarily.
- Click Windows key + R, type “regedit”, and press “Enter”.
- Navigate to the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search” on the left pane.
- In case there is no Windows Search option, right-click on the “Windows” folder, select “New” -> “Key”, and name the folder as “Windows Search”.
- After that, right-click “Windows Search” that you’ve just created and then select “New”.
- Click on “DWORD (32-bit) Value” and name it “AllowCortana”.
- Then double click on “AllowCortana” and set the value to “0”.
- Reboot your PC.
NOTE: if later you will decide to enable Cortana, access Registry Editor as explained above and change the value from 0 to 1.
If none of the steps above helped to stop Cortana from popping up on the desktop, you should try to perform a full system scan with Reimage. Virus infection may trigger strange Cortana’s performance, so Reimage will eliminate all malicious or potentially unwanted programs that may be negatively influencing this and other tools. Additionally, it will ensure a full system’s optimization to keep its best performance.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: