Issue: How to fix AuthenticAMD.sys BSOD in Windows?
For the past few weeks, I've been getting a lot of BSODs on my Windows. The crashes occur at random times, but especially when I attempt to launch a game or a program. The blue screen shows the AuthenticAMD.sys file that crashed.
The Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) is a notorious stop error screen that appears when the Windows operating system encounters a fatal error. This abrupt crash is often the result of a critical system issue that the OS cannot overcome or bypass. During a BSOD, Windows provides diagnostic information to help users ascertain the reason for the crash. This data includes error codes and often the name of the file or driver that triggered the error.
For a number of Windows users, the file identified during the BSOD is AuthenticAMD.sys. Another file that could sometimes be implicated in these crashes is ntkrnlmp.exe.
AuthenticAMD.sys is a system driver file associated with AMD processors. Its primary function is to facilitate communication between the operating system and the hardware, in this case, the AMD CPU. If there's a malfunction or corruption in this file, it can disrupt the smooth operation of the system, leading to a BSOD.
Similarly, ntkrnlmp.exe is a system executable related to the Windows kernel. It’s a core component, and its proper functioning is pivotal for system stability. Failures associated with this file could be the result of corrupted system files, outdated drivers, or hardware issues.
Multiple reasons could lead to a BSOD involving AuthenticAMD.sys or/and ntkrnlmp.exe. Some common triggers include:
- Corrupted or outdated drivers: drivers that are not updated or have become corrupt can conflict with the system's operation.
- Hardware malfunctions: physical problems, such as overheating or a failing component, can push the system to crash.
- Software conflicts: incompatible software or malware could cause disturbances that result in an AuthenticAMD.sys BSOD.
Luckily, there are several solutions that can address and prevent these errors, ranging from updating drivers to system scans for malware. Comprehensive instructions on remedying these issues are available below.
For those seeking an automated solution, the FortectMac Washing Machine X9 PC repair tool is an excellent choice. This tool is adept at diagnosing and fixing Windows issues, ensuring a crash-free user experience.
Fix 1. Use Driver Verifier to test drivers
Driver Verifier is a Windows tool that helps identify problematic drivers. By running Driver Verifier, you can ensure that all drivers function correctly and without errors.
- In Windows search, type verifier, and hit Enter.
- In the new window, select Create standard settings and click Next.
- Choose Automatically select unsigned drivers and click Next.
- If any suspicious drivers are listed, take note of them.
- After noting or if no drivers are listed, go back and select Automatically select drivers built for older versions of Windows. Check again.
- If you find problematic drivers, follow the steps below.
- Restart your computer.
Fix 2. Update AMD processor and chipset drivers
Ensuring the latest drivers for your AMD processor and chipset are installed can help prevent BSOD errors.
- Visit the official AMD website.
- Download the latest drivers for your specific processor and chipset model.
- Install the downloaded drivers.
- Restart the computer for changes to take effect.
If you find it difficult to differentiate between driver versions and are unsure which driver is correct for your hardware, you could instead employ an automatic driver updater such as DriverFix.
Fix 3. Roll-back AMD drivers
If recent driver updates cause issues, reverting to an earlier version can restore stability.
- Right-click on Start and open Device Manager.
- Expand Processors or System Devices.
- Right-click on your AMD device and select Properties.
- Go to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
- Follow the prompts and then restart your PC.
Fix 4. Run SFC and DISM
These tools scan and fix potential issues with system files.
- Type cmd into Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- When the User Account Control (UAC) window shows up, click Yes.
- Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
- Next, use the following commands, pressing Enter each time:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
(Note: if you get an error executing this last command, add /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess to it and try again).
- Reboot your system.
Fix 5. Run Windows Memory Diagnostic
Faulty RAM can cause system crashes. The Windows Memory Diagnostic tool checks for memory issues.
- Type Memory in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select Windows Memory Diagnostics result.
- Click Restart now and check for problems (recommended) (note that your PC will restart immediately).The
- A memory test will run during startup and display any detected errors – this might take a while.
- Replace or repair faulty RAM module(s) if errors are found.
Fix 6. Try Clean Boot
Performing a clean boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers, ruling out software conflicts.
- Press the Win + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type msconfig and press Enter.
- In the System Configuration window, select Selective Startup, and uncheck Load startup items.
- Go to the Services tab and check the box Hide all Microsoft services, then click Disable all.
- Click on the Startup tab and open Task Manager.
- Disable all the startup items in the Task Manager.
- Click OK, and restart the computer.
After performing a clean boot, your system will start without third-party services and startup programs. If the issue doesn't appear in this state, it's likely that one of the disabled applications or services was causing the problem. You can then selectively enable each service or startup item (in the System Configuration and Task Manager, respectively) and restart to pinpoint the specific cause.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.