Issue: How to fix Error Code 0x800F081F while installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows?
Hello all. I‘m running Windows 8.1. I need to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 because several apps on the system require it. However, when I try to install it, I received an error message, which reads: „Error: 0x800F081F The source files could not be found.“ I tried both installation online and offline. Could you please tell me why am I not allowed to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5?
As explained by Microsoft, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 is a „technology that supports building and running the next generation of applications and Web services.“ Unlike other Windows OS version, Windows 8 and 8.1 does not have this technology installed by default, meaning that computer owners have to install it manually if some third party software running on the system requires for it. This can be done either manually or automatically. Unfortunately, but many people cannot install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 anyway due to the Error Code 0x800F081F. The error message does not tell much, except that „The source files could not be found.“ This bug check can sometimes be replaced by Error Code 0x800F0906, but note that they are just the same and can occur interchangeably. Since Windows 8 and 8.1 are the only versions that does not have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, so naturally this problem occur on this type of OS only.
According to IT specialists, 0x800F081F error is triggered by KB2966826, KB2966827, and KB2966828 security updates for .NET Framework 3.5. These updates are installed on Windows OS via Windows Update regardless of the type of the system, meaning that Windows 8 and 8.1, which do not contain Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, are stuffed with these updates as well. If you are encountering this problem, we will provide a couple of methods on how to fix Error Code 0x800F081F while installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows.
How to fix Error Code 0x800F081F while installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows?
If you have tried installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 both ways, i.e. manually and automatically, but each attempt ends up with an error code 0x800F081F „The source files could not be found“, there is a couple of things that you can do to fix that.
Method 1. Uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 updates
- Click Start and select Control Panel.
- Select Programs and Features and opt for View installed updates link on the left pane.
- Look through the list of installed updates and try to find KB2966826, KB2966827, and KB2966828 security updates.
- Once found, right-click on each of them and select Uninstall.
Method 2. Run Group Policy Editor
- Open Start, type gpedit.msc in the search box, and press Enter.
- Once Group Policy Editor opens, navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System.
- Look for Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair option on the right pane.
- If it is set to Not Configured, double-click on it, and set Enabled.
- After that, enable Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and close everything.
- Once done, try to install .NET Framework 3.5. Everything should work!
Our last piece of advice would be to take care of the registries, software updates, system files, security, etc. in order to prevent errors, malware infections, file loss, crashes, and similar issues. For this purpose, you should install Reimage.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow: