Issue: How to fix “RPC server is unavailable” error on Windows?
A couple of times the “RPC server is unavailable” pop-up appeared on my computer. I am not sure what it is? What should I do about this error?
“RPC server is unavailable” is a Windows error that might occur on any version of the operating system. There are many reasons why it shows up on the screen, but in most cases, the problem is related to system communication problems.
RCP is an abbreviation for Remote Procedure Call. It’s a Windows system that allows communication between different processes. The mechanism supports communication between a client and a server on a network and local machine. If some issues occur during this procedure, the “RPC server is unavailable” error shows up on the screen.
RCP error typically occurs for these reasons:
- Problems with the network connection;
- Name resolutions problems;
- Firewall or antivirus blocks traffic;
- Corrupted registry entries.
Fortunately, all these issues can be identified and eliminated quite easily. In order to fix “RPC server is unavailable” error on Windows, try the methods explained below.
Methods to fix “RPC server is unavailable” on Windows
There are many reasons why RPC error might occur. Hence, each of the problems has a solution too. Try them all in order to get rid of it:
Method 1. Make sure that RCP services work properly
- Click Win + R keys to open the Run window.
- Type services.msc and click Enter.
- In the Services window, find DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and RPC Endpoint Mapper.
- Check if their status is set to Running and startup set to Automatic.
- If not, follow the steps presented in the method 4.
Method 2. Check Windows firewall settings
Another way to fix “RPC server is unavailable” error is to check if the firewall does not block RPC connections. In order to check if there are any issues with Windows Defender Firewall, follow these steps:
- Open Start and in the search box type firewall.
- Open Windows Defender Firewall from the results.
- In Windows Defender Firewall, click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall option located on the left pane.
- In the allowed apps and features list, find Remote Assistance and make sure that it is allowed. If not, click Change settings button and mark Private and Public checkboxes.
- Click OK to save changes.
Method 3. Check the network connection
If there are some interruptions in network connection, the “RPC server is unavailable” error may have shown up on the screen too. In order to check it, follow the steps below:
- Click Win + R keys to open the Run dialog.
- Type ncpa.cpl in Run dialog window and click Enter.
- In the Network Connections window right-click on the Network connection that you use.
- Choose Properties from the menu.
- Check if File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) options are enabled. If not, tick the checkboxes.
Method 4. Fix Windows Registry problems
The following steps will help you to fix Windows Registry issues. However, you should backup registry and create a system restore point. In case, something bad happens, you will be able to revert changes and avoid serious damage.
- Log in to the computer as administrator.
- Press Windows + R keys.
- In Run dialog type regedit and click Enter.
- When in Windows Registry navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\services\\RpcSs and check if any of the entries presented below are not missing.
- If RCP was not running or its startup type wasn’t set to automatic, you have to double-click “Start” DWORD entry on the left pane.
- In the appeared Window, set its Value Data to 2.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\services\\DcomLaunch and check if none of the entries in the image are not missing.
- If DCOM Server Process Launcher was not correct, double-click Start key and set its Value Data to 2.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\services\\RpcEptMapper and check if any items are not missing again. If previously discovered RPC Endpoint Mapper settings were not correct, double-click Start registry key. Set its Value Data to 2.
- Close Windows Registry and check if it helped to fix “RPC server is unavailable” error.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services like Netflix, BBC, Disney+ and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless where you are
Recover your lost files quickly
Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is a recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of important documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.