Issue: How to fix Your computer is low on memory on Windows 10?
Hi. I started to get these weird messages on my Windows 10 machine… they read, “Your computer is low on memory.” What is the problem with my computer and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance.
Every computer needs memory (Random Access Memory or RAM) to function properly. Without it, a Windows 10 machine would not be able to perform operations instantaneously or run processes in the background smoothly. Unlike other data storage such as hard disk, RAM can process data almost immediately when it is needed.
The memory size of each computer depends on the hardware – the so-called memory sticks are used. Over the years, the size increases to support the always-increasing demands of the running applications and modern operating systems, such as Windows 10. Currently, most modern machines are sold with at least 8GB of RAM.
That being said, if the memory needed to run all current processes and applications exceeds the one installed on the computer, it could result in a “Your computer is low on memory” notification. It can occur either on Windows startup or at random times during the operation of the device. This is particularly common for devices that run on 4GB of RAM or less. Here's what the message says:
Your computer is low on memory
To restore enough memory for programs to work correctly, save your files and then close or restart all open programs.
One of the easiest ways to fix “Your computer is low on memory” error is to increase the capacity of your RAM, which would require physically purchase new hardware, which is not an optimal choice for some. Besides, it would not work for laptop users since RAM is integrated quite differently, and replacing it usually requires expert help.
In fact, you don't always need to upgrade your hardware to deal with this problem. For example, the message can indicate malware infection, and all you have to do is clean your computer from it, although this is unlikely. Cleaning your system from unnecessary programs that consume too much memory can also help a lot.
Low memory problems can also be caused due to the invisible issues within Windows 10 operating system itself. In order to diagnose and eliminate them for good, we highly recommend you employ ReimageMac Washing Machine X9. The tool can not only get rid of common system errors or crashes but also remove an already existing malware and repair its damage done.
Fix 1. Disable Startup items
When you install a new program on your computer, it is most commonly set to auto-run on startup. If you are not careful and you do use many applications on your machine, it can be overwhelming for your memory. Thus, all you have to do is prevent programs you don't use all the time from starting in the first place:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Task Manager
- Click More details
- Go to Startup tab
- In here, right-click on apps you don't use all the time (for example, if you are using Discord constantly, leave it on Enabled) and select Disable
- Reboot your PC and check if the problem persists.
Fix 2. Install all the available Windows updates
- Type Updates in Windows search and press Enter
- Click Check for updates on the right side of the window
- Wait till all the updates are downloaded and installed
- Restart your computer.
Fix 3. Increase the size of paging file
Paging file is used by Windows to manage virtual memory. If that size is too low, Your computer is low on memory error on Windows 10 may show up. Here's how to do this:
- Type sysdm.cpl in Windows search and press Enter
- Go to the Advanced tab and select Settings in the Performance section
- Choose Advanced tab
- Below, you will see Virtual memory box – click Change…
- Untick the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box and tick Custom size below
- Adjust the initial and minimum size in Megabytes that is supposed to be used for Virtual memory and click Set and then OK.
Tip: Microsoft recommends using the virtual memory size that is at least 1.5 x and no more than 3 x larger than the size of your installed RAM.
Fix 4. Scan your PC for malware
Running a scan with security software can ensure that malware is eliminated. If you have a third-party software installed, run a full system scan. If you are using the built-in Windows Defender, you can run the Offline scan that would take around 15 mins:
- Type Windows Security in Windows search and hit Enter
- Select Virus & threat protection
- Here, pick Scan options
- Choose Microsoft Defender Offline scan and click Scan now
- Your PC will immediately restart and a full scan performed.
Fix 5. Check your disk for errors
- Type cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- In the new window, type in the following command and press Enter:
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- If the error message shows up, type in Y and press Enter
- Restart your computer to begin the scan.
Fix 6. Clean your computer from junk
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter
- Select your main drive (C: is a default) and click OK
- Here, pick what sections you want to delete then click Cleanup system files
- Select your drive again (C: by default)
- Once again, select items you want to get rid of
- Click OK and wait till cleanup process is finished.
You can also check out our tips on how to optimize your PC for gaming better.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.