Issue: What is DesktopWindowXamlSource empty window and how to remove it?
Hello. I noticed an empty window named DesktopWindowXamlSource on my Windows taskbar. What is it and how do I remove it?
DesktopWindowXamlSource is a Windows API that allows an app to host XAML controls within a desktop (Win32) window. An empty window may appear if the API is being used improperly or if there is an error in the implementation. Apparently, the empty window in the taskbar is related to OneDrive. According to Microsoft, the bug was supposedly fixed in 2021.
However, the Microsoft forums have been recently flooded with people experiencing the issue again. When users try to close the DesktopWindowXamlSource empty window, it closes OneDrive as well. Currently, it is unknown what exactly causes this bug.
Users that suffer from this problem should try to restart the problematic app or their device and see if the issue persists. It is also advisable to look for any error messages or exceptions that may be related to the empty window and troubleshoot based on those. Additionally, some users have reported that updating to the latest version of OneDrive can also fix the problem.
If these tips do not solve the issue, you should try uninstalling OneDrive and reinstalling it to see if the empty window disappears. in this guide, you will find 4 steps that should help you remove DesktopWindowXamlSource empty window.
Keep in mind that the manual troubleshooting process can be lengthy. If you suspect any underlying system problems, you should use a maintenance tool like ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 that can fix most system errors, BSODs, corrupted files, and registry issues. Otherwise, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Solution 1. Install Windows Updates
- Click Settings from your start menu and click Update & Security
- Choose Windows Upgrade from the left panel and click the Check for updates button, and then your computer will check for, download, and install any updates found
Solution 2. Repair Corrupted System Files
Use Command Prompt commands to repair system file corruption:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Use the following command and press Enter:
- Reboot your system
- If SFC returned an error, then use the following command lines, pressing Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Solution 3. Update OneDrive
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box
- Enter the following command and hit OK:
- Then do the same with:
- Restart your device and check if the problem persists
Solution 4. Reinstall OneDrive
If none of the above methods removed DesktopWindowXamlSource empty window, you should try uninstalling and reinstalling OneDrive. Most users experiencing this problem report that the issue went away after performing this step. Here is how to reinstall OneDrive:
- Uninstall OneDrive from your system
- Press Windows key + R to launch the Run box
- Type %userprofile%, and click OK
- Show hidden files and folders in File Explorer
- Open the AppData folder and then open the Local folder
- Rename the OneDrive folder
- Open the Microsoft folder and rename the OneDrive folder inside it
- Click Windows Search and type Credential Manager
- After opening the Credential Manager, select Windows Credentials
- Scroll down and remove the virtualapp/didlogical and SSO_POP_Device credentials
- Restart your computer
- Download the OneDrive setup file. Now, run the installer file to install OneDrive on your system
Optimize your system and make it work more efficiently
Optimize your system now! If you don't want to inspect your computer manually and struggle with trying to find issues that are slowing it down, you can use optimization software listed below. All these solutions have been tested by ugetfix.com team to be sure that they help improve the system. To optimize your computer with only one click, select one of these tools:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.