Issue: How to enable two-factor authentication on Reddit?
I want to secure my Reddit account from being hacked. Is there a way to set two-factor authentication?
The social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website Reddit has just announced about a possibility to enable two-factor authentication in order to give users extra security layer and prevent from third-party access to their accounts.
Two-factor authentication is usually gold as a “gold standard of security” because it prevents third-party access to your account. Setting this feature does not protect from having your password guessed. However, no one will be able to log in using it because the needed authentication code will be sent to your mobile phone.
The major social networking sites and email services provide two-factor authentication. Additionally, there are numerous apps that make access to your accounts more complicated for attackers or stalkers and you.
Once you enable two-factor authentication, you will need to enter your password and unique verification code every time you want to login to Reddit or other accounts. Thus, it takes some time and might not seem convenient for lazy users. However, taking care of cyber security and privacy is very important nowadays.
However, if you value your privacy more, you should not hesitate and set two-factor authentication on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter and other accounts. We will show you how it’s done.
Instructions on how to enable two-factor authentication on Reddit
Setting up two-factor authentications offers more security to your Reddit account. Once you enable this feature, you will need to enter your password, and 6-digit verification code received to your phone every time you log in:
Step 1. Enable two-factor authentication
- Login to your Reddit account.
- In the top menu, you should find preferences option. Click on it.
- Navigate to password/email tab.
- Find two-factor authentication section and click enabled.
- Once you enable this feature, you have to verify your email and enter the password.
Step 2. Set up the authenticator app
Reddit recommends using either Google Authenticator or Authy apps (both available on Android and iPhones) as the authentication app in order to generate verification codes. However, you can use other apps that support Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP) protocol.
Based on the app you choose, you will need to:
- login/register with your Reddit account;
- scan the QR code or enter the security key manually;
- configure and setup the app.
Once these tasks are completed, you will receive a confirmation email and a personal message.
Step 3. Create backup codes
Generating backup codes is the last step. Though, it might seem not needed. However, in case you will lose your smartphone and become unable to access authenticator app, these codes will help you to login to Reddit.
- Login to Reddit.
- Access preferences and navigate to password/email.
- Find two-factor authentication section.
- There you have to click generate for backup codes.
- Then you will have to enter your password and write down (or print) your backup codes.
Note. Each code can be used only once. Additionally, if you change the phone, you have to disable two-factor authentications and re-enable it on the new device.
Optimize your system and make it work more efficiently
Optimize your system now! If you don't want to inspect your computer manually and struggle with trying to find issues that are slowing it down, you can use optimization software listed below. All these solutions have been tested by ugetfix.com team to be sure that they help improve the system. To optimize your computer with only one click, select one of these tools:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.
- ^ Protect your account with two-factor authentication. https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/7spq3s/protect_your_account_with_twofactor_authentication/. Reddit. Social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.
- ^ Akhil Arora. Two-Factor Authentication Is Great, and It's a Mess . NDTV Gadgets. Latest technology news.
- ^ Christina Chipurici. Why You Should Start Using Two-Factor Authentication Now. The Heimdal Security blog. Cyber security advice.