Issue: How to fix error 0x80242020 in Windows Xbox app?
Hi, I have recently got a new SSD and tried to move my games there. I uninstalled the games from my old drive and whenever I try to install them via the Xbox app, I receive an error 0x80242020. I first thought that there might be problems with my new drive but it seems to be working just fine – I can easily install games from Steam and random apps too. It's just the Xbox app games that don't work. Please help.
Xbox app is yet another platform dedicated to gaming. Released by Microsoft as a successor to Xbox Companion in 2019, the app can be used to manage, download, install, and uninstall various PC games. Unfortunately, just like with any other program, not everything goes smoothly while using it – users claimed that they couldn't install some Game Pass games; others couldn't even sign into the app successfully.
In this case, we will be talking about the Xbox installation error 0x80242020. Many users claimed that they were unable to install or, in some cases, uninstall various games, including Crackdown 3, Minecraft, or others. The error might also occur when trying to install apps through Microsoft Store as well; in this case, they receive the following message:
Something unexpected happened
Reporting this problem will help us understand it better. You can wait a bit and try again ot restart your device. That may help.
Despite this advice, users claimed that they were unable to fix the error, and it persists each time they attempt to install a game or an app.
There are several solutions that should help you fix the 0x80242020 Xbox and MS Store installation error. For example, pending Windows or Store updates could cause this problem. In other cases, the simple fix would be to reset the MS Store cache. Make sure you try all the methods below until you find one which works for you.
Before you proceed, we recommend you employ ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 to diagnose and remove damaged sectors in Windows operating system if such persist. By removing corrupted registries or replacing damaged system files, this repair tool can quickly and easily fix the most common issues users encounter while using Windows.
1. Install all available Windows updates
Some users claimed that, as soon as they installed all the pending updates on other Windows apps, the 0x80242020 error was fixed.
- Type Updates in Windows search and press Enter
- Here, click Check for updates
- Make sure you install all the optional updates as well
- Next, open Microsoft Store and go to Library
- Click Get updates and make sure everything is installed
- Once done, restart your system and try installing games once again.
2. Relog to your Xbox and MS Store accounts
- Launch the MS Store app, click your profile picture at the top-right corner and select Sign out
- Then, open the Xbox app, click your name and select Sign out
- Restart your computer
- Once back, log back into your Microsoft Store and Xbox apps and try again.
3. Use MS Store or Xbox app to download the game
If you are having this problem when using Microsoft Store, you should try installing the game via the Xbox app, and vice versa (many users said they fixed the problem once they did that).
4. Change the default save location
If you have recently installed a new drive into your PC, there could be a location mismatch, so you need to set it manually.
- Open Xbox app
- Click on your name at the top-left and select Settings
- Select General tab
- Scroll down to find Game install options
- Here, click on Change Folder to change the location of your apps – make sure it matches the drive letter you are trying to install new games into.
5. Repair or reset Microsoft Store
There is a built-in option to repair or reset MS Store. In case the broken app is causing the error to arise, this step will fix it:
- Right-click on Start and pick Apps and Features
- Scroll down to find Microsoft Store
- Select Advanced options
- Scroll down a bit and click Terminate
- Next, click the Repair button and check if the problem is gone
- If the error returns, try using the Reset option instead.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Prevent websites, ISP, and other parties from tracking you
To stay completely anonymous and prevent the ISP and the government from spying on you, you should employ Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet while being completely anonymous by encrypting all information, prevent trackers, ads, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop the illegal surveillance activities that NSA and other governmental institutions are performing behind your back.
Recover your lost files quickly
Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time while using the computer: it can turn off due to a power cut, a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) can occur, or random Windows updates can the machine when you went away for a few minutes. As a result, your schoolwork, important documents, and other data might be lost. To recover lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through copies of files that are still available on your hard drive and retrieves them quickly.