Issue: How to fix printing error 0x00000771 (Operation could not be completed) in Windows?
Hello, my printer is detecting an error “Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000771).” Is there anything that can be done about it since I can't use my printer properly because of this? I am using Windows 10.
Printers are standalone computer peripherals that can be useful to people and businesses in many ways. Office environments especially still use a lot of paperwork, and without printers doing so would be impossible. Unfortunately, just like any other components, printers can break, print poorly, or return errors under various circumstances – Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000771) is a case of the latter.
In most cases, users experience the error when attempting to connect a printer to the computer or the network. The issue has been around for several years now and affects all types of printers (USB, WiFi, shared connections), and it seems like the brand of the device has not affected it in any way.
Users might receive the error when they attempt to print for the first time after purchasing the product, or the error simply can start occurring abruptly. Once this happens, people are faced with the following error message:
Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000771)
The specified printer has been deleted
It goes without saying that many users are rather confused with this message, as it claims that the printer has been deleted. It does not explain why or what is meant to be done in order to fix the 0x00000771 error effectively. This is not new, however, as people already had to deal with errors that do not provide much information either – 0x00000520, 0x0000050, or 0x0000011b are just a few examples of this.
So, what is the reason for this issue, and how to get rid of it? One of the main reasons for the error is insufficient permission within configuration settings. Likewise, some services related to printing might also be causing it.
Before you proceed with the manual solutions below, we strongly recommend you run a scan with the ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 repair tool that can automatically fix underlying Windows issues such as system file corruption, registry errors, missing DLLs, etc.
Fix 1. Run the troubleshooter
The first thing you should try is to run a troubleshooter. These built-in helpers are very easy to use and they can sometimes automatically solve the occurring problems.
- Type in Troubleshoot in Windows search and hit Enter
- Go to Additional Troubleshooters
- Select Printer and click Run the troubleshooter
- Wait till the scan is finished and then apply the suggested fixes
- Restart your PC and see if the problem is gone.
Fix 2. Set Print Pooler service to automatic startup or restart it
You should ensure that the Pint Pooler service is running properly. First, try to restart the service:
- Type in Services in Windows search and press Enter
- Scroll down until your find Print Spooler entry
- Right-click it and select Restart.
If the service is not running and/or is set to manual, proceed with the following:
- Fin Print Spooler entry in the service list and double-click it
- Under Startup type, select Automatic in the drop-down menu
- Click Start, Apply, and OK.
Fix 3. Give full control to the relevant registry key
- Type in regedit in Windows search and hit Enter
- When User Account Control shows up, click Yes
- Navigate to the following location:
- Locate Windows entry, right-click and select Permissions…
- Here, select the group that you belong to – it can be Administrators or your username, or a group name
- Under permissions, mark the Full Control option
- Click Apply and OK, then close the Registry Editor.
Fix 4. Uninstall the latest Windows update
Windows updates can sometimes result in printers malfunctioning. Thus, if the 0x00000771 error started showing up after you updated Windows, you should temporarily uninstall the latest update and pause automatic updates:
Note: if you have not updated Windows recently and the problem did not occur after that, you should apply the latest Windows updates instead.
- Type Control Panel in Windows search and press Enter
- Go to Programs > Uninstall a program
- On the left side of the window, select View installed updates
- Make sure the entries are sorted by the Installed On column
- Select the most recent update, right-click and select Uninstall
- Follow on-screen instructions and restart your device
- Once rebooted, type in Updates in Windows search and press Enter
- Select Pause updates for 7 days.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.