Issue: How to Fix Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3198586 Installation Error?
Hi. Installation of the November Cumulative Update KB3198585 fails to install with a Blue Screen of Death. Need help!
KB3198586 is a reference number of Windows Cumulative Update released on November 8, 2016. This update concerns Windows security issues and quality of various Windows 10 features, including the shell, Edge, IE, proxy authentication, missing Japanese characters, network issues, Microsoft Store bugs, and more.
The vast majority of issues addressed by this update occurred after the release of previous KB3185614 update. Unfortunately, but Windows 10 updates always appear to be a problematic matter because for many Windows users they either fail to install or bring in various system problems, including BSOD errors, missing/corrupted files, software incompatibilities and similar.
This time, Microsoft Community reported about a Cumulative Update KB3198586 installation error. According to the latest research, the same issue applies to KB3200970 and KB3198585 updates. The problem is that the updating process gets stuck at a certain level, ends up with a BSOD or displays an error message. Usually, these hitches occur due to the damaged files of the update itself.
Take care of Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3198586 Installation Error manually or automatically
Therefore, one of the basic solutions would be to download the standalone installer of the update from the official Microsoft’s website. However, sometimes such and similar bugs happen due to some system malfunction or incompatible software installed on it. Therefore, we will provide several fixes that might help to fix cumulative update KB3198585 installation error on Windows 10.
How to Fix Windows 10 cumulative update KB3198585 fails to install error?
If the automatic installation of cumulative update KB3198585 fails to install or throws an error message, click on this link, which will redirect you to the official Microsoft's website with a standalone installer of the update available. Besides, make sure that there is a sufficient amount of disk space because this may also prevent any cumulative update from being installed successfully.
If these simple measures did not help, try to disconnect hard drives, extra monitors, smart card readers or any other additional peripherals because they might be incompatible with some of the cumulative update’s files. Lastly, disable your antivirus, especially if you are using a third-party guard because these programs tend to conflict with Windows files and software frequently. If, after all, cumulative update KB3198585 installation fails, try the following fixes.
Fix 1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Click Win key + S, type troubleshooting, and click on the search results. Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3198586 Installation Error can be removed from your computer by using Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Navigate to System and Security and select Fix problems with Windows Update.
- Select Advanced at the bottom of the page and mark Apply Repairs Automatically.
- After that, select Run as administrator and type in your password in the UAC.
- Once done, hit Next and wait a while until the process finishes.
Fix 2. Delete cumulative update KB3198585 files
If the previous method did not help, our recommendation would be to remove all the files that belong to the KB3198585 update. This action will prompt Windows 10 system to reinstall the missing update. For this purpose, you should perform the following steps:
- Navigate to C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution\\Download and remove all files that are stored in this folder.
- Reboot the system, go to Windows Update and select Check for Updates.
- Wait for the system to detect available updates, check if KB3198585 is on the list, and then click Install Updates.
Fix 3. Run sfc / scannow
When Windows OS encounters any issue, the majority of the IT specialists offer to run sfc /scannow command, the purpose of which is to detect missing files and fix the corrupted ones. As we have already pointed out, KB3198585 update freezes and fails to install issue may be fixed by performing the steps listed above in case if there are some damaged or missing system files.
- Click Win key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter. Get rid of Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3198586 Installation Error by running an SFC scan
- Now you just have to wait for the command to be executed and then reboot the system.
Fix 4. Perform a full disk check
The sfc/scannow is not the only scan you can run to fix Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3198586 Installation Error. The below-provided steps will allow you to check the system for possible disk corruption:
- Go to Windows search and type “cmd”.
- A black dialogue box will appear and make sure that you activate Administrative powers here.
- Afterward, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit the Enter key. Remove Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3198586 Installation Error from Windows by running a DISM scan
- Wait until the process is finished and reboot your computer system.
Fix 5. Use a System Restore Point
If your screen is stuck and you see the message “Preparing To Configure Windows. Please Do Not Turn Off Your Computer”, try to use a System Restore Point. For this purpose, do the following:
- Hold the power button to turn off your PC and then restart the system.
- Before Windows boot window shows up, press F8 to boot into Safe Mode. Use a System Restore point to fix Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3198586 Installation Error
- If you are asked to log in, then log in to your account.
- Once the system is booted, disable your antivirus.
- Click Win key and type system restore.
- Select Create a restore point, select System Restore and hit Next.
- Select the latest systems restore point and click Next.
When you finally manage to install Cumulative Update KB3198585 successfully, don't forget to run a scan with RestoroMac Washing Machine X9 to ensure proper system's maintenance.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Protect your online privacy with a VPN client
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online trackers such as cookies can not only be used by social media platforms and other websites but also your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings via your web browser, you can still be tracked via apps that are connected to the internet. Besides, privacy-focused browsers like Tor is are not an optimal choice due to diminished connection speeds. The best solution for your ultimate privacy is Private Internet Access – be anonymous and secure online.
Data recovery tools can prevent permanent file loss
Data recovery software is one of the options that could help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it does not vanish into thin air – it remains on your system as long as no new data is written on top of it. Data Recovery Pro is recovery software that searchers for working copies of deleted files within your hard drive. By using the tool, you can prevent loss of valuable documents, school work, personal pictures, and other crucial files.
- ^ Mridu Harsh. What is "Cumulative Update" ?. Microsoft Answers. Forums.
- ^ Blue screen of death. Wikipedia. The free encyclopedia.
- ^ Margaret Rouse. Third party. What is. Tech Target.