Issue: How to fix Windows activation error 0xc0020036?
Hello. I was trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 today. Once complete, I have received a strange error 0xc0020036, which claims that I am not running Windows non-core edition. I bought Windows from the official store back when Windows 8.1 was released, so my license is genuine. Any help with this is appreciated.
Some users said that they receive an 0xc0020036 error when trying to upgrade a Windows machine – the issue is most commonly present after installing Windows 10, which results in failure to activate the copy of the OS correctly. While activation errors are commonly present for those who use an illegal copy of Windows, this issue turned out not to be the case, as most users who complained about this, in fact, have a genuine license key.
In some cases, users reported that the 0xc0020036 error only occurred after they have applied the most recent Windows updates and that it occurred in conjunction with the 0xC004F012, 0xC004F074 or 0xC004C003 error. These instances were plenty after the release of the 1803 update, where thousands rushed to Microsoft forums to report this issue.
Here is the message that users received:
Windows Script Host
Error: 0xc0020036 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xc0020036' to display the error text.
There could be several reasons why this error code is shown to users – it may differ from machine to machine. As already mentioned, sometimes the problem lies within Windows updates, while others might receive it due to corrupted system files or the key itself.
Therefore, in order to fix 0xc0020036 error, you will have to perform several troubleshooting steps that we provide below. Keep in mind that none of the below will work if you are using a pirated version of Windows. In such a case, we advise you to visit the official Microsoft Store or the official partner's site and purchasing a genuine version of Windows.
Otherwise, proceed with the fixes below. Before you begin, we recommend you try running a scan with PC repair software ReimageMac Washing Machine X9. In the cause of the error in your case are corrupted system files, it will be able to fix error code 0xc0020036 automatically for you.
Method 1. Install all the available Windows updates
If you have not been installing the latest updates, we recommend you do so. If the issue is caused by a bad update, a fix could be included in the latest patch(es).
- Right-click on Start and pick Settings
- Go to Update & security section
- On the right side, click Check for updates
- Wait till all the updates are installed and reboot your device
- See if the problem persists.
Method 2. Run System File Checker
If some of your system files were corrupted, you might receive this error. Thus, run an SFC scan to fix your Windows system files:
- Type in cmd in Windows search
- Right-click on Command Prompt result and click Run as administrator
- When User Account Control shows up, click Yes
- Now, type sfc /scannow in the Command Prompt window and press Enter
- Wait for the scan to be completed
- Windows will report if any file integrity violations were found and repaired on your device.
Method 3. Reinstall current license key
There are two different ways of having your Windows activated – you can either have a Product Key (25-character code), or a Digital License installed on your device.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator as explained above
- Once opened, type in slmgr /upk and hit Enter
- The command prompt should inform you that the command was performed successfully
- After that, paste the following command and press Enter: slmgr /cpky
- Restart your computer
- Once the PC loads back in, right-click on Start and pick Settings
- Go to Update & Security > Activation
- Here, click on Add product key and enter the 25-character code (if you don't know what it is, check on how to find out below).
Method 4. Contact Microsoft Support and provide them the key
If none of the above solutions helped you fix 0xc0020036 error (and you are using a genuine Windows license), you should contact Microsoft directly and provide them with your license key. They will explain to you on what to do next. To find your your key, access Command Prompt:
- Open elevated Command Prompt as explained in previous steps
- Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
- The product key will be provided to you
- Now go to the official Microsoft website to find your local phone number and call support.
Repair your Errors automatically
ugetfix.com team is trying to do its best to help users find the best solutions for eliminating their errors. If you don't want to struggle with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic software. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. Tools that you can use to fix your error are listed bellow:
Access geo-restricted video content with a VPN
Private Internet Access is a VPN that can prevent your Internet Service Provider, the government, and third-parties from tracking your online and allow you to stay completely anonymous. The software provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, ensuring optimal performance and not slowing you down. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and view such services as Netflix, BBC, Disney+, and other popular streaming services without limitations, regardless of where you are.
Don’t pay ransomware authors – use alternative data recovery options
Malware attacks, particularly ransomware, are by far the biggest danger to your pictures, videos, work, or school files. Since cybercriminals use a robust encryption algorithm to lock data, it can no longer be used until a ransom in bitcoin is paid. Instead of paying hackers, you should first try to use alternative recovery methods that could help you to retrieve at least some portion of the lost data. Otherwise, you could also lose your money, along with the files. One of the best tools that could restore at least some of the encrypted files – Data Recovery Pro.